Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Will Avid ever update the GUI?

I've been using PT for a long time myself as a composer, editor and so on. I have to say that I generally end up writing in Logic and mixing in PT. The GUI can be a little uninspiring, but it's rock solid for me.

It would be nice to have a little customization but i believe I would lose a little respect for Avid if they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 core Trash Can Mac Pro, 32 gigs of ram, 7tb of hd, latest version of OSX, Apogee Symphony MKI, Grace M905, Focal Twins with Sub, Korg Kronos X, Mac Mini, MPC Ren, tons of software
Old 05-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminjamesp View Post
I know everyone has a different idea of what tasteful design means, but in this context I do mean subtle, not color explosion. (Honestly if you take a look at the Studio One GUI, it's less of a color explosion than PT. It's much darker, muted, and subtle in its use of color. No neon green counters and menu fonts). I really love the "flat" design asthetic of Studio One. The 3D effect on buttons, faders, menus, etc, in PT looks dated at best. The color selection could be updated to include both a classic and modern color palate. Update the icons so they are still immediately recognizable, but with some modern design cues. It would be nice to have a few customizable features (I don't think skins is a good idea at all). It would be nice to be able to adjust the brightness of the edit window backgrounds, from a dark grey up to pretty light. I like how in studio One I can adjust contrast as well, which makes seeing the grid a little easier. I would love a total overhaul of the midi window. In my opinion it's the worst part of the interface and also has the lease usable work flow. And I happen to spend a lot of time there.

I think by simplifying the layout with a more modern "less is more" approach, a lot of the GUI issue in PT might be solved. Maybe? I dunno. But every other daw is somehow able to avoid the GUI lag I've had issues with for so long.

Obviously issues like a working video engine, better work flow optimazion, GUI lag, midi quantization problems, and a few other well known items should get first priority. But still, I would love an updated GUI.
You can easily adjust the saturation of the colors. Reducing saturation makes them more muted and subtle. I don't like overly bright colors either. They can be fatiguing and look a bit tacky. But without adding any color to a track, it looks like a gray spreadsheet opened in Windows 95. Avid should consider assigning muted colors to tracks, by default, as it really makes a difference -- especially for newbies who are coming from more consumer-oriented applications and are immediately put off by it.

I know some folks prefer the dark background in programs like Logic X, but I personally feel that this looks like something a teenage boy would come up with. I prefer the neutral and functional look of Pro Tools.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM

There would be a massive revolt if Avid spent any time putting eye candy into the DAW. The majority of users want them focused on things that make the process more productive, with useful features, not a bunch of silly skins......Its already evidently clear that Avid has limited resources right now, so the last thing they need to do with those few resources is focus on "Pretty".......

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Agreed.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:20 PM

How about a cli for PT?
Hugh
Old 05-24-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
How about a cli for PT?
Hugh
cli - command line interface? If so why? Or are you being facetious

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtheking987 View Post
It would be nice to have a little customization but i believe I would lose a little respect for Avid if they did.
Cannot have everything, can you?
Old 05-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Cannot have everything, can you?

Says the guy who is still asking for Waves AAX-DSP hahahahahah
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminjamesp View Post
I know there is a long list of things that need fixing. That's part of the reason I downloaded the demo for Studio One. I've grown increasingly frustrated with Avids complete lack of thought put in to streamlining work flow. And honestly, as a writer and composer, I was getting so uninspired staring at a GUI that looks like it was designed with a dentists office in mind.

Studio One really nailed a lot of things. There are some amazing work flow features, a macro editor, overall all a lot of things that seem like they should be a given these days. And the GUI, in my opinion is gorgeous. It's so easy on the eyes. It makes me feel more creative looking at it. But. It's seriously lacking in deeper features. The audio editing feels so clunky coming from Pro Tools, the wave forms are atrocious. I can't imagine trying to remove mouth noises from a vocal take with the lack of detail. Just basic things are missing, like L-R pan control on stereo tracks, a marker System that does anything besides mark locations (and shows up in the midi window as well), the ability to define nudge values, groups with parameter control, any time line besides bars and beats (it has a min/sec timeline but you have to choose one or the other). The grid and quantize functions are linked, so if you have input quantize on, and your grid is in 8th notes, everything is quantized to 8th notes. Lots and lots of little things like that which add up to a lot of frustration. Most of all, there's no import session data, which is just a total no go for me.

But I felt so good just looking at it, it was so hard to decide against it. After 12 years of staring at basically the same sterile GUI, I almost dread opening it back up. But I have to. I need what it offers. Why does professional have to mean boring?

Will Avid ever do a major GUI redesign? I don't mean all frilly and fancy, or changing overall layout. Just something with tasteful design elements. Some personality, and a little bit of style. It looks dated, boring and uninspiring.

Tomorrow I'm opening Pro Tools up for the first time in a week. Not looking forward to it. But there's just no way I can sacrifice usability and features for good looks.
Looks and functionality are 2 completely different things - sure Studio One may look good but is completely lacks Pro tools functionality in every single way.