Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 AM

Default PT8HD or earlier, Have many people taken the hit?

It's either died down or Avid are deleting posts/threads.

Last week Max stated that he would take our concerns to Avid but there's been nothing since then.

Have many people taken the plunge and upgraded?

I'm sticking with 8.

Al
Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 AM

Default Re: PT8HD or earlier, Have many people taken the hit?

Hi Al
we upgraded from 8 to 10HD this week on 4 systems. We did it by buying support contracts since it worked out a lot cheaper. I must say that 10 has been rock solid and nearly all the little issues we had with 8 have been fixed (we avoided 9 altogether after upgrading one system, then having to revert back).
I think the upgrade cost (via the avid store) is extreme when most HD users are facing having to replace there hardware as well in the next year or so. I wouldn't have jumped and upgraded so soon, but with the support contracts including the 10HD the price saving was too good to miss.
Pete
Old 11-12-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevsi View Post
Hi Al
we upgraded from 8 to 10HD this week on 4 systems. We did it by buying support contracts since it worked out a lot cheaper. I must say that 10 has been rock solid and nearly all the little issues we had with 8 have been fixed (we avoided 9 altogether after upgrading one system, then having to revert back).
I think the upgrade cost (via the avid store) is extreme when most HD users are facing having to replace there hardware as well in the next year or so. I wouldn't have jumped and upgraded so soon, but with the support contracts including the 10HD the price saving was too good to miss.
Pete
Thanks Petevsi

I didn't know you could buy the support plan whilst being on PT8HD. I thought it was only if you were on PT9HD

Do you have a link?

Al
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio 45 View Post
Thanks Petevsi

I didn't know you could buy the support plan whilst being on PT8HD. I thought it was only if you were on PT9HD

Do you have a link?

Al
That's exactly what I though as well. PLease elaborate............
Tommy
Old 11-12-2011, 04:00 AM

Hi Al
we went to HHB scrubs
Pete
Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio 45 View Post
Thanks Petevsi

Do you have a link?

Al
In my understanding, once one gets Pro Tools HD 10 Upgrade Authorization Code, one can choose any previous version of Pro Tools HD iLok license in one's ilok.com account to surrender. I am not sure whether Avid's program checks if PTHD9 iLok license exists in one's account or not.

Another question is how Avid can check whether one has actually PTHD9 license or not before Avid issues the authorization code. It seems technically difficult.

I think that Avid should officially accept any previous version of Pro Tools HD at the same price like Pro Tools HD 9 Upgrade of one year ago. In my opinion, the current Pro Tools HD 10 Upgrade price does not make sense.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Actually, you do need a PT's 9 license to surrender. It looks for a specific version number and if it's not there it's a no go. I had to surrender my 8 to authorize 9 and my 9 to authorize 10. At least that's the way it was a week and a half ago.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 PM

I haven't upgraded from 8HD. It seems unlikely I will. It's just not financially feasible (or necessarily wise, given the imminent obsolescence of my HD hardware upon the release of PT11). I've also been wondering whether other power users are upgrading, since the forum is no longer raging at the cost. I don't know if it's the work of moderators or whether people are biting the bullet and signing up for the support contract.

I was hoping Avid would decide to reevaluate their pricing structure after the initial public outrage, but it doesn't appear this is going to happen. Perhaps when the new hardware comes out they will have a major upgrade discount? For now it just doesn't make sense. One thing is for sure: when PT11 comes around, it's going to be a big decision, since the $$$ will either go to an Avid hardware upgrade or a powerful new computer with a different DAW. (Yes, yes, I could continue to use PT8 HD for the rest of my production life, but I'm not going to. And neither will most anyone else)

I'm disappointed over how this has all gone down but my feelings don't seem to be worrying Avid, so I'm in waiting mode for PT11. We'll see whether they want my continued business.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 PM

I am on PTHD 8 (Skipped PTHD 9), and have been waiting for the dust to settle. I just downloaded the PTHD 10 new functions guide to read through whats really there. Reading through and I can't justify $1400 worth of upgrades that affect me right now.

I understanding the eventual transition to 64 bit, HDX, etc. and applaud AVID for initiating what we all new would happen sooner than later. But I think AVID's arrogance in the rollout for PTHD 10 is starting to bite them in the you know what. If PTHD10 is all that, they should've had demo's ready to go from the beginning. That way people could make decisions for themselves.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM

I'm sticking with 8.0.3cs2 for the foreseeable future. I just can't justify making the financial outlay to replace my whole system for HDX when I really don't need it and my system is rock solid. With plugs and hardware I spent more than $20K two years ago and would probably have to do about the same again for HDX. Maybe if I was in post I would think differently.