Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2019, 01:56 PM

Default Anyone else just about fed up with Avid?

I like pro tools, hate when the glitches happen for no reason and no change to system and now this crappy billing. I am just a hobby guy I dont make money at this... I was told to check out studio one. I dont want to jump ship but sometimes I get aggravated with avid...
Old 12-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone else just about fed up with Avid?

I feel your pain, but prefer PT myself(but I make my living with it). As a hobbyist, I think it would be wise to check out other options. There's a reason that products like Pro Tools and Nuendo are expensive, but you may not need those features. Dig in on Studio One and Cuckos Reaper as both are very capable programs(and are 2 of the best bargains out there). Just be aware that each(and all others) will have a learning curve and that can be made a bit worse by your experience with PT(lots of habits to break and change)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Why would a Hobbyist need some other DAW and those who live off music need PT? We live really really well off music and use Live10 Suite and have used LogicX and lived off that aswell.

There is Absolutely Nothing in PT you have to have to live off Music that is kind of a weird reason to give

Sorry.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-24-2019, 12:12 PM

The best analogy I can think of is that using Pro Tools is like using a 2" 24 track recorder used to be. If you needed to move your project to a different studio in order to record or mix, you were in trouble with a 1" 16 track Tascam tape even though it often sounded just as good.

Digidesign was the first digital audio editing solution under $10,000 and became dominant simply by virtue of being first. Nothing enough better has come along to be worth learning for most professionals. A lot of us also use supplemental DAWs for MIDI or mastering.

If you aren't collaborating and moving projects around, there are many good choices.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
I like pro tools, hate when the glitches happen for no reason and no change to system and now this crappy billing. I am just a hobby guy I dont make money at this... I was told to check out studio one. I dont want to jump ship but sometimes I get aggravated with avid...
Meh, I don't like any other DAW as much as I like PT to actually USE.

I get fed up with them when they promise and they don't follow through, like folder tracks in 2018 LOL.. Then they had a survey after that, where folder tracks was removed from choices cause it was "already slated to appear in Pro Tools in 2018" and I am sure a lot of people voted for meldoyne style pitch or ARA integration. That might come in 2024 LOL.

So yes on that note, they frustrate me no end. Then sometimes they literally surprise me out of the blue.. I thought I would have to wait till next summer to use PT on my MacBook pro 16.. Then the next day they release a Catalina compatible version.

I have paid for my perpetual license upgrades until December 2023, So i will re evaluate it then. I have been with them 3 years now (or is it4?) and not much has happened, so I doubt much will happen in the next 4 years either.. So when i think about it like that, it's disappointing indeed. PT keeps falling behind other DAWs but the other DAWs don't have the GUI or workflow. It's a catch 22. People keep talking about S1 but it's an absolute joke on mac and even S1 users and presonus know. It has about one third (not a misprint) the VI and plugin performance of Pro tools on the same machine.

Cubase is terrible with clip gain volume handling as is S1, the only DAW that can do what PT does without chopping a clip up to level it in seconds, is Reaper. And i HATE that Daw with a passion.

Midi is not far behind any of the others at all. The only ones that have a bit of advancement are Logic and Cubase cause of the articulation control.

S1 has a drum editor now and some midi FX. If PT added a drum editor and midi FX, it's midi would be preferable to me than S1, cause it can be used inline and has easier and more thorough options to change the properties of the clips/notes.
So, it's close.

To summarise, I think the thing that makes me "fed up" more than anything else, in the occasions I DO feel fed up, is that PT is *so* close to being the perfect DAW and it frustrates me that it just keeps falling short cause Avid are stubborn to fix long standing bugs, and add a few much needed features.

Still.. I paid 95$ (140 AUD) per year from thomann for my perpetual support extension. At the end of 2023, I can keep whatever is the last version at the time, forever.
Cubase would cost me $250 Au now just to go from V9.5 to 10.5. Forget it. And then it will be 150 to go from 10.5 to 11. So in actual fact, Cubase is more expensive than PT.. well it was, before Avid increased their online store support plan price by double. It's about comparable now, PT maybe a bit pricier.

Logic is the one that is cheap.. I paid for X in 2013 LOL.. and have 6 years of updates for free.. HOWEVER.. YES.. i AM fed up with Apple, cause Logic pro has a SHOWSTOPPER that they will JUST NOT FIX. This is why I moved to pro tools! That one bug! Logic can not automate plugin parameters in time if there are plugins that require latency compensation in the same insert path as the plugins you are automating. Automation is not compensated.
PT to me is 100x better than logic to use with the amount of UAD plugins I use, so.. even though I want more out of it, I will still keep using it over Logic.

Someone said something to me a few weeks ago.. "Why are you looking at S1? The grass is not always greener you know.. S1 has issues too. So does Live, Logic, and all other Daws". And it made me stop in my tracks. She was right.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:27 AM

Once again, my 2 cents only...I have no ax to grind with any current DAW software when it comes to capability. There really isn't one that can't do a hit song(as long as the song is a hit). Logic is out for me as I am on PC(refuse to pay Apple prices). I try other things and pay attention to new offerings and such, but at the end of the day, I just prefer the way PT works, and I share work with several other PT users. Moving projects via AAF can be a PITA, though I am getting better at solving the issues I've had with file relinking. If someone finds a different product that ticks the boxes for them, then that's the product they should use

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-25-2019, 10:50 AM

As a hobbyist that does music only with very little midi other than drums, and virtually no collaboration, Studio One is the perfect DAW for me. If not for the outrageous pricing and subscription options with very slow updates, PT would be my choice since I've been using it for 20 years. But Avid has priced me out of their game. Oh well. No loss. I'm perfectly happy with Studio One as my main DAW.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 12-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the feed back.. I am going to take a look at Studio One
Old 01-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Even as a hobby guy.... is US$199 per year really that much? Try taking up a sport and see how much that costs you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-19-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Even as a hobby guy.... is US$199 per year really that much? Try taking up a sport and see how much that costs you.
Haha, yes! Round of golf for example, and if you are a golfer one round will get you nowhere.

F.ex when I visited Singapore with my clubs the other year, the round was about 200 USD plus lunch and drinks.