Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Default Video Import - Audio longer than video - help please

Hi
I'm trying to use Pro Tools to chop up videos.
Process the Audio with plugins to get it sounding better etc.
When I import a video streamed on facebook the audio and video come in at different lengths.
See photo
the first time I used PT to to do this it worked perfectly - audio and video same length.
But since then no joy
and sometimes it won't let me import a video.
Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 2.19.57 pm.png (59.5 KB, 0 views)

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis
Old 12-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Video Import - Audio longer than video - help please

Looks like you are importing video that has different frame rate then your session.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Looks like you are importing video that has different frame rate then your session.
OK - that makes sense
this is all new to me (apologies)
How do I establish the frame rate of my downloaded facebook live video?
Then how do I set the frame rate of my pro tools session?

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
HDX card
Old 12-21-2019, 01:32 PM

I'd usually use QuickTime player to check audio/video, just open the movie, "command + I" (get info) and you can see in the window what the frame rate is, as well as what audio format it has. I also have little app called "Mediainfo" which is drag-drop and you get all the info about. Or VLC.
I would also advise you not to import directly movies from internet/facebook...as they are always in very compressed format. Avid has posted a link to the app, I believe it is free, http://www.shutterencoder.com/en/ and use this application to convert the movie to the full frame codec like Apple Pro Res (proxy) or Avid's DNxHD or DNxHR...I use always prores proxy.
Then create new session in Pro Tools and press "command + 2" on numerical keyboard and it will open "Session Setup" or Menu/Setup/Session. There you can change your video frame rate. Then import new video and audio and you will have (quite) frame accurate editing possibilities.
Perhaps also handy would be to check some tutorials on Pro Tools post production workflows where you can better understand all this little bits necessary to start you work with less headaches.

cheers!
Old 12-22-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
I also have little app called "Mediainfo" which is drag-drop and you get all the info about.
And;
Avid has posted a link to the app, I believe it is free, http://www.shutterencoder.com/en/
Thank you for that information nedd. Very useful!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I'd usually use QuickTime player to check audio/video, just open the movie, "command + I" (get info) and you can see in the window what the frame rate is, as well as what audio format it has. I also have little app called "Mediainfo" which is drag-drop and you get all the info about. Or VLC.
I would also advise you not to import directly movies from internet/facebook...as they are always in very compressed format. Avid has posted a link to the app, I believe it is free, http://www.shutterencoder.com/en/ and use this application to convert the movie to the full frame codec like Apple Pro Res (proxy) or Avid's DNxHD or DNxHR...I use always prores proxy.
Then create new session in Pro Tools and press "command + 2" on numerical keyboard and it will open "Session Setup" or Menu/Setup/Session. There you can change your video frame rate. Then import new video and audio and you will have (quite) frame accurate editing possibilities.
Perhaps also handy would be to check some tutorials on Pro Tools post production workflows where you can better understand all this little bits necessary to start you work with less headaches.

cheers!
Awesome - thanks heaps from Australia.

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
HDX card