Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller

After 2 days of experimenting I have finally fiqured out how to use my Zoom R16 as a control Surface with Protools 8. Took alot of trial and error but it works great and best of all it didnt cost anything to setup. This is on a Windows Vista system with Protools 8.0.

Heres what you need:

1. Download Midi-Ox from www.midiox.com (FREE)

2. Download Midi Yoke (from same website above) or Maple Midi Cable from www.maplemidi.com. Midi Yoke did not work for me in Vista but it may for you. (FREE)

Heres HOW it works:

The Zoom R16 cannot work directly with Protools because it does not send the correct midi messages and Protools will not recognise it as a control surface. The Zoom R16 cannot (as far as I can find) be reprogrammed to send the correct messages. Midi-Ox can take midi messages and alter them (in realtime) and then resend them. So basically we connect the R16 to computer, Midi-Ox intercepts the incorrect midi messages, alters them to the correct ones, resends the corrected messages through the virtual midi cable into Protools. These corrected messages are formatted in the M-Audio Hypercontrol format. Within Protools we setup an M-Audio peripheral.

Heres How to set it up: (This all only needs to be done once)

1. Install Midi Yoke or Maple Midi Cable (one or the other) Make sure you install with admin permissions or turn UAC off in Control Panel --> User Accounts

2. Install Midi-Ox

3. Plug your R16 into usb port, and in Midi-Ox go into Options-->Midi Devices and make sure it is selected and shows as a midi device under Port Map Objects

4. Also in Midi-Ox Options-->Midi Devices make sure Maple Midi 1 is selected as an output under Port Mapping

5. In Midi-Ox go to File--> Save Profile. Give this a name like "R16 Protools setup" or something like that and save it in a folder (remember where you saved it)

6. Now this is the part that took me days - finding out what midi note numbers the R16 sends for each fader and button and then finding out what cc messages Protools needs to receive through the M-Audio settings and mapping all this within Midi-Ox. Luckily for you its done so just download this file, unzip and open it in Midi-Ox. Pro Tools 8 & Zoom R16 .oxm file and documentation or Pro Tools 8 & Zoom R16 .oxm file and documentation alternative download link

7. Once you have loaded the Midi-Ox .oxm file (just save it to your desktop and double click it) go to Options-->Data Mapping and you should see lines of values in the translation Map window. Click on Save in the bottom right hand corner of the window, give your .oxm file a name and save it somewhere.

8. IMPORTANT - After saving you will be back in the Translation Map window. In the top right there is a tick box that says "Turn map on (after OK)". Make sure this is ticked. Click Ok to exit window

9. Go to File-->Save Profile and resave over the original Profile you saved in step 5

10. Close Midi-Ox

11. Open Protools

12. Go into Setup-->Midi-->Input Devices. Make sure that Maple Midi 1 is selected as an Input Device

13. Go into Setup-->Peripherals-->Midi Controllers. In Position #1 setup M-Audio Keyboard. In the "Received From" select Predefined-->Maple Midi Input 1. In the "Send To" select Predefined-->Midi Mapper. Set the #chs to 8

14. Close Protools

Ok thats all setup. Now each time you want to use Protools do the following in this order:

1. Double click on the .oxm file we created in Midi-Ox (good idea to save a shortcut to this on the desktop). Midi-Ox should open.

2. Minimise Midi-Ox

3. Open Protools

4. Move a fader or button on the R16 and you should see the corresponding ones in Protools move

If they DONT move you may need to go back into Midi-Ox and go Options-->Midi Devices, click OK. Then go back into Protools

This definitely works for me but I wont guarantee it will for you. I dont really know much about computers just fiqured it out by playing around.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller

Now THAT...is one h*ll of a first post!! Well done!

I have a TON of stuff I'll be doing with that clever work around.

I just put a link to this in the Skunk Works thread for future reference. This will introduce a whole new world of PT scripts.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 AM

Great!

Thanks alot for this , Fish.

- i7 520 @ 3.6 GHz / P6T / XP32 / PTLE 8.01 . PT9 on Snow .
- PTLE8 on a macbook.

- And a bunch of miscellaneous obsolete hardware from the past. Like Mix ++++ 64 i/o with Control/24

I`m In The Band: www.ozofficial.com
My guitars are in tune : http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks Shane,

It was a bit of work but i'm glad it worked out. After thinking about it I guess the process could really be used with any controller, if you were willing to sit down and fiqure out its midi send messages.

Fish
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikafish View Post
Thanks Shane,

It was a bit of work but i'm glad it worked out. After thinking about it I guess the process could really be used with any controller, if you were willing to sit down and fiqure out its midi send messages.

Fish
There's a few ways to "sniff" out the data needed.

Email me the .oxm file and I'll post it here. You have no email link in your profile.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 PM

I agree great first post and welcome to the DUC.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM

Red face Re: Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller

Ok fiqured out how to show my email details. Shane I will send you the .oxm file. How do I post files?

Fish
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Ok fiqured out how to show my email details. Shane I will send you the .oxm file. How do I post files?

Fish
You can't post files but you can post a download link to your file if its hosted somewhere else.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2010, 09:13 PM

Its not hosted and I cant seem to put it as an attachment in the email through the site either. So how do I send the file? I searched the site for help but cant find anything. Sorry absolute forum beginner!

Fish
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Its not hosted and I cant seem to put it as an attachment in the email through the site either. So how do I send the file? I searched the site for help but cant find anything. Sorry absolute forum beginner!

Fish
When Shane replys to your email he should have the option of replying directly. If you want to send me a email I'll reply and you can attach it then and I will forward it to him.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page