Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM

Default Fast Track

I have two Fast Tracks hooked up to new imacs. They have given me quite a bit of trouble so hopefully I can get some help.

I cannot get the xlr input to work in the mac. I have tried to use it in audacity and in Garageband.

In the sound settings I select the m-audio for input, but the sound level bars says there is no input for this device.

In garageband I select the m-audio as in input device. Then i create the voice track, I have tried it on mono1, mono2 and stereo.

The fast track shows signal when I tap the mic, but nothing into the programs.

Any ideas what I am missing?

Sean
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Fast Track

Is this in the wrong area, or does no one have any experience with the Fast Track.

I hooked up with my pc and it does pickup the mic right away through the fast track in Audacity. So the box is functioning. I cannot get it to pickup on the imacs.

Is this not supported here?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Sean,

Which model Fast Track are you using?

What driver version? (If using the "Fast Track USB", no driver should be necessary; FT C400/C600, Ultra, and Ultra 8R should download and install the latest drivers from Avid with the device disconnected)

Have you:
1. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers?
2. Changing USB ports on the iMac?
3. Gone to "System Preferences" -- "Audio" -- Selected M-Audio Fast Track as the input (and output, if you prefer) device?

Can't say that I have much experience with GB or Audacity, but I have a C600 (a Fast Track on steroids) that I have used with a variety of applications on my Macs with no issues.
Pro Tools 9.0.6 on Mac OSX, Artist Series, MBox Pro
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Its the Fast Track USB, I picked them up through apples site with the imacs. I figured they would only sell something that worked great with the macs.

The software is 1.8.2
Firmware .30

Not sure if that info helps. I tried moving it to all the USBs and still nothing. It works with the guitar input. I have two of these and two macs, and both give the same results.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 AM

An odd update, I plugged the Fast Track into my personal macbook pro.

It showed up different in preferences, as Fast Track, not M-Audio. The mic also worked right away.

Could this be an OSX version issue?
My Mac 10.7
School Macs 10.8

Is there anyway to uninstall anything on the 10.8 macs to see if that fixes the problem?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbmc View Post
I plugged the Fast Track into my personal macbook pro... It showed up different in preferences, as Fast Track, not M-Audio. The mic also worked right away.

Could this be an OSX version issue?
My Mac 10.7
School Macs 10.8
Now that's interesting. I would venture to guess that one of two things is the culprit:

1. It is possible that the FT-USB you have is not talking to OSX 10.8. A quick check on Avid's Knowledgebase states that your driver version - 1.8.2 - only supports Mac OSX up to 10.7.4. No later drivers are listed, and the Fast Track has been replaced with the new "Fast Track Solo" and "FT Duo".

2. It is possible that the "school" Mac has some setting buried within the recording software that is not recognizing channel 1. If you can hear the guitar signal, then signal is being passed. Check your I/O settings in your recording software (sounds like you may have done this; just going down my list of things I would check).

Most hardware units from Avid/M-Audio come with a complimentary 60-day technical support feature. I would suggest calling or e-mailing to open a ticket for your issue. Should you find that the unit that Apple sold you is not compatible with the OS on the computer they also sold you, then they should allow you to return the items and pick up one of the Solo/Duo units instead.

My $.02
Pro Tools 9.0.6 on Mac OSX, Artist Series, MBox Pro