Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Default sound fx libraries

Hi everyone, I've been a film sound editor for a couple years and am looking to invest in some sound fx libraries. Two questions:

one, has anyone used any surround FX libraries? I've internet researched and there seem to be many available like blastwave fx and the ridiculous 12 channel fx libraries by iguana kitchen.

two, I'm thinking to buy only hi def libraries since production sound is usually recorded in 24/48 or 24/96. Are real professionals (I would consider myself semi-pro) taking hi def sound fx libraries seriously? Everything I've used to date has been converted from 16/44.1 (which seems so weird that all these sfx are 44.1...I know why, but it's still weird).

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: sound fx libraries

I've found both Hollywood Edge and Sound Ideas libraries to be a very good general purpose collections. As far as high def goes, it will be quite a while before everyone replaces libraries with 96k, but some high impact/transient sounds can benefit from the high bit rate libraries. I've found that most of the hi-def libraries are very limited in scope at this date, but they will get there.

Depending on what type of work you are doing, I would select a library that has the best "general" purpose sounds related to what you are doing, then start adding to it with genre specific additions. If you do a lot of sports, find a great sports collection. Same thing goes for action, history, sci-fi, reality, drama.

The Soundstorm library is quite extensive and very good if you have money to burn. A few surround ambiance collections are always good to have.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! And while I agree, I do already have the general collections from Sound Ideas (series 6000), hollywood edge, and BBC. And they work great.

As of now, however, I'm just panning into surround, and though may invest in some surround reverv plug-ins, do not have any yet.

Maybe surround panning is more cost efficient than investing in surround sfx libraries?

And yes, transient and high impact sound collections would probably be worth getting in 24/96. Good suggestion.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM

I think the Blastwave FX revolver collection is good. I use it and I am satisfied. I little expensive but worth it and nothing much cheaper with as good a quality.