Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 AM

Default Re: cant get any distortion to sound good

The "cab emulation" comments are my first guess, as well, however, Darryl is spot on about the gain settings. Especially on the Boogie emulations. I run those within the 1-3 range with very good results. There is some fuzz within the Eleven Rack which I have never been able to get rid of. I've got a couple Mark I and V settings which I run right with my Mark V and, although, they sound good, they have some sizzle the real amp does not.

I also have a MIM Fender with a 81/SA/85 and it sounds great with the Eleven Rack. I seem to recall some posts here about active PUP's being quirky, however, have had no issues myself.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 AM

Before you go crazy trying things, check to make sure your guitar has a new 9v battery. From what you are describing, sounds like your 9v is either dead or disconnected some how.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry g View Post
Before you go crazy trying things, check to make sure your guitar has a new 9v battery. From what you are describing, sounds like your 9v is either dead or disconnected some how.
Excellent point. I completely overlooked that one.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM

I dreamed about the 11R but when I got it and heard the preset I was so disappointed :-(
I think the secret is to understand how the real amp works. Once you get that, building your own rig is really easy. Now I'm in love with 11R (Matchless, JTM45, Plexi) plugged on my studio monitors or on my Peavey 60/60 power amp and 4x12" Celestion GK-85 cab. Listening on my headphones (Sony MDR-7506 and Shure E2 IEM) is still a not acceptable. Might get an external headphone amp...
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 AM

I use the same headphones as OP and get the same tones out of them as every other setup, within reason of speaker sizes and output. I am able to run my headphones with the volume setting at 7.0, though (which is pretty darned loud), and all is well. Of course, the results vary based on amp and everything in line with it.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM

I have the same HD280s and they sound fine. To me. In the context of the mix. Being headphones they are a bit clinical which makes the guitar track sound a little flat when soloed. Also if something's too fizzy sometimes I'll actually use the tone control on the guitar....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 AM

Which input setting are you using? I don't have access to my gear ATM but different input settings can create different quality. From memory, try switching between line in and guitar in. Like I said, I haven't got my gear at hand
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 PM

I've had my Eleven Rack for almost a year and have never been able to get great metal tones out of it. There's always some sort of fizz that just doesn't seem to be able to be dialed out. I've tried hundreds of presets, as well as dialing in from scratch, and for modern metal, the 11R just doesn't cut it for me. For cleans, bass, low to mid gain tones, 80's rock, etc it is awesome, and I use it all the time to track ideas and re-amp them through my real amps. I've played through multiple different models of headphones, included HD280's, studio monitors, and through my Peavey's power amp into my Diezel 4x12 (turning off cab modeling, of course). I have an old PODxt bean that I like better for getting metal tones with from a modeler.

I have guitars with EMGs, Seymour Duncans, DiMarzios, PRS Pickups, etc and I wouldn't say that it's really better or worse with any of them as far as getting usable (to me) tones for metal.

I have a Peavey 6505+ that is my primary amp and will sometimes use a Dual Rectifier to reamp and record with. FWIW, I don't find the Mesa Recto models on the 11R to even come close to the real thing for high gain, even set the same way.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM

It is totally possible to get a great tone out of the eleven rack.
Try putting an eq with a high end cut after the cabinet on the ER.
I was going to post my settings but I forgot my iLok at home. (I'll post it later)
It rolls back the fuzz quite nicely and you get a nice squishy tone.
Another option is to roll back the gain on the amp. instead of using the distortion pedal use the green OD settings at 50/50 and get rid of the noise gate (less distortion and you should't need it) Most recordings use surprisingly little gain. In a mix (and live with a band) too much gain causes the guitar to get lost.
That being said, I've found that guitars that sound great by them self sound like poop in a mix. the opposite then is true that great tones in a mix (like your favorite song) probably sound like crap when played by itself. I only mention this so that you aren't chasing a tone only to be disappointed when you get it. make sure you try it in a mix as well.
Jeff