Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Re: iMac Photobooth Records Left Channel of 11R only

Yes I'm trying to record myself via Photobooth playing guitar. Photobooth doesn't configure audio, but it records the 11R signal. I was trying to find if there's a way to configure the 'Audio /Midi Setup utility', audio not Photo Booth. I never said that Photobooth configures audio. I wanted to know how to configure audio in general via the utility or on the 11R. On the Audio/Midi Setup I have the input as 11R and output as 'Built In Output'. It records the video with 11R sounds.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_g View Post
Yes I'm trying to record myself via Photobooth playing guitar. Photobooth doesn't configure audio, but it records the 11R signal. I was trying to find if there's a way to configure the 'Audio /Midi Setup utility', audio not Photo Booth. I never said that Photobooth configures audio. I wanted to know how to configure audio in general via the utility or on the 11R. On the Audio/Midi Setup I have the input as 11R and output as 'Built In Output'. It records the video with 11R sounds.
If Photobooth doesn't configure audio how does it record audio? That's what I keep asking as I can't see how it records audio. According to some research I did via Google it used to at one time back in Leopard days but according to that same research that was stopped in an OSX update.

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 PM

You can use Quicktime Player 10.2.

Under system preferences / audio input source = eleven rack
In QT Select File/new movie recording. You can confirm the input source by selecting the small arrow on the bottom right of the video preview window.
You can also set your movie quality there as well.

It works ok. you might have to sync up the audio a bit with iMovie (latency) but you can capture both simultaneously.

You can probably do it in iMovie as well. I did using an external USB camera for a test.
I imagine it would work with the isight camera just as well.

Jeff
http://www.basementrockstar.com
Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If Photobooth doesn't configure audio how does it record audio? That's what I keep asking as I can't see how it records audio. According to some research I did via Google it used to at one time back in Leopard days but according to that same research that was stopped in an OSX update.
Please stop asking me if it records audio. I already said it does. I made this video with PhotoBooth and the 11 R. You can hear the dry signal on the right. http://youtu.be/WieRz0SfjHo
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaramundo View Post
You can use Quicktime Player 10.2.

Under system preferences / audio input source = eleven rack
In QT Select File/new movie recording. You can confirm the input source by selecting the small arrow on the bottom right of the video preview window.
You can also set your movie quality there as well.

It works ok. you might have to sync up the audio a bit with iMovie (latency) but you can capture both simultaneously.

You can probably do it in iMovie as well. I did using an external USB camera for a test.
I imagine it would work with the isight camera just as well.

Jeff
http://www.basementrockstar.com
Thanks. I tried it and it works. I'll use that instead. I also came to realise that the video program I use to mirror the and crop the video is to blame for mixing the dry and wet 11Rack signals together. The problem is not in the audio video configuration. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by pete_g; 04-24-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Please stop asking me if it records audio. I already said it does. I made this video with PhotoBooth and the 11 R. You can hear the dry signal on the right. http://youtu.be/WieRz0SfjHo
You said it does and I asked how does it do that as I can't find how Photobooth records audio - I can find NOTHING in it that does and maybe I'm not seeing something that you are. I asked for your help in trying to understand this and find out where Photobooth does this and you can't or won't explain how to do it. Oh well.

QAPLA!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM

It records audio along with the video of PhotoBooth. Whats hard to understand about that?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
It records audio along with the video of PhotoBooth. Whats hard to understand about that?
You just have the Eleven Rack connected to the Mac via USB cable correct? You don't have an SPDIF connection to the Mac instead of or as well as the USB do you?

Darryl
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
What's so hard about this is I can't find where it does that. There's not word one that says how to do that, or if it even does that. That's why I keep asking for you to point out how and where it does it - where is it described it records audio?

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM

I cannot get the senseless going around in circles in this thread.

Photo Booth is a standard OS X app. The Eleven Rack is a standard Core Audio device. Select the Eleven Rack as the system audio input in Audio Midi Setup (aka select "Use this device for sound input" for the Eleven Rack), start Photo Booth, select video mode, press record. The Eleven Rack output L/R signals should appear as the L/R tracks on the video. It does for me (on latest OS X Lion 10.7.5, with Eleven Rack driver 1.0.5 and firmware 2.00.1). Nothing surprising there at all, all working exactly as expected.

If anybody is having trouble getting that to work, post screenshots of your audio midi setup audio page.

Now the obvious reason I can think somebody has mono rig output on one stereo track and rig input on another is they are connecting to the Eleven Rack via SPDIF and the Eleven Rack digital output is in "Split In/Out" mode. See the front panel User Options, you probably want Digital Output set "Mirror Analog" mode. If something else is going on here and there is no SPDIF connection to the Mac involved then I'd be curious to see screenshots of the audio/midi setup audio page as well as know all the driver, OS X versions etc. And make sure you are selecting the Eleven Rack directly not an aggregate device as system sound input in audio/midi setup.

Darryl

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-26-2013 at 02:00 PM.