Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Default Re: So these new moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Really, I think we should thank the new mods. (note: this may not be an approved abbreviation ) for volunteering their time and providing a valuable service, especially for new users.
The "new mods" are not aliens from out of space. Big Grin. These guys have been here helping countless users for years. Cool they are recognized as moderators now but I doubt this thread makes them feel unappreciated.

I, for one, was just having a little fun. Wink.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post

Sure, you're going to have occasional tin plated dictator with delusions of grandeur, but all in all it seems a good thing.
Well said - Wink - Smile - Smile
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Iz ur UREI 4 sail, or iz it Yuri's UREI?
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Talking Re: So these new moderators

Lol...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM

I hear you,
I got a thread shut down cause it was a contest announcement. (ok I admit it is) but I'm just trying to give away some free software that is in no way even close to being related to Protools or any kind of competition for them.
It's a tool for leaning guitar. (I teach free guitar lessons online) and I hand typed the thread and addressed it to the relative audience so it's HARDLY spam.
.......enough about that....

Anyway the kind moderator made me feel like some kind of felon for breaking the golden "Terms of Use" which if I was to quote "Blatant promotion of or linking to other websites or forums for the purpose of circumventing the Terms of Use is prohibited and will prompt post deletions."

These same moderators all have links to external sites in their signatures....
Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaramundo View Post
I hear you,
I got a thread shut down cause it was a contest announcement. (ok I admit it is) but I'm just trying to give away some free software that is in no way even close to being related to Protools or any kind of competition for them.
It's a tool for leaning guitar. (I teach free guitar lessons online) and I hand typed the thread and addressed it to the relative audience so it's HARDLY spam.
.......enough about that....

Anyway the kind moderator made me feel like some kind of felon for breaking the golden "Terms of Use" which if I was to quote "Blatant promotion of or linking to other websites or forums for the purpose of circumventing the Terms of Use is prohibited and will prompt post deletions."

These same moderators all have links to external sites in their signatures....
guitaramundo....

That wasn't a moderator who suggested you not post the contest info. but a fellow member.

Review the T & C's here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=169558

Specifically ....... this part.

You may not post or transmit to the Site any advertising, surveys, promotional materials, contests, or any other commercial or non-commercial solicitations.

Thanks
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM

I get that Marianna. I didn't realize when I posted the contest that is was a problem. I just thought I was pointing out a way to maybe get some free software to my fellow members. The same way people point us in the direction of free plugins etc....but they don't get their threads Locked.

These new moderators, (and I can point you to one VERY popular one) has a URL in his signature to both his website which is plastered with advertisements and a donate button and also his youtube channel where all his "helpful Protools videos" are monetized. is clearly breaking the same "terms of use that my thread was shut down for. (see below)

"You may not post or transmit to the Site any advertising, surveys, promotional materials, contests, or any other commercial or non-commercial solicitations."

"Blatant promotion of or linking to other websites or forums for the purpose of circumventing the Terms of Use is prohibited and will prompt post deletions."

I'm sorry but if someone has a link to a site that has advertisements on it they are breaking the terms of use. I don't begrudge them making a living or trying to make a few $ for their efforts. I think it's awesome. But I'm making NOTHING from the contest. it's just for fun and I've invested lots of time in it.

I apologize for the contest announcement, please feel free to delete the thread. I don't care at this point, but your Volunteer Moderators should read carefully the terms of use so they don't violate them either with every post they make...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM

ps.....
before you shut down my threads maybe you should poke around my site.....specifically here:

http://basementrockstar.com/stuff_i_like.php

Notice how Avid got 2 shout outs from me.....What do I get for that? Not a thing. Do I ask for anything....NOPE.....just spreading the joy.

Will it stay on my page now? Not a chance!

Thanks for nothin'
Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

This is getting blown out of proportion a bit. From what I can see, the thread was closed by an Avid admin (who would have been here for 10+ years. I've been here since the beginning of the DUC in 1998, and I would also not allow a contest thread.

It's not about your intent, which was fine. It's specifically about threads advertising contests. They are difficult to monitor as to which are well intentioned and helpful, and which are spam. While yours is the former, the fact that each contest would require deeper investigation and a judgement call by the forum admins would require more time that could be better spent helping users.

Yes, lots of users have links in their sigs to their websites, businesses, etc. But compared to a thread that is about a contest, that's apples and oranges as far as we are concerned.

As I said, I have no doubt that your motives were good, and your participation here has certainly been useful, but this is one incident of a specific thing we try not to allow. Please don't take it personally, it definitely is not meant that way.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Guitaramundo, nothing to do with the thread but I took a look at your site.
You might give the Jim Dunlap "big stubby" picks a try.