Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Default VENUE Offline Editor doesn't start on high-res display

Hello,

I'm trying to run the Offline editor (v3) on an MS Surface Pro 3. I get a dialogue box upon starting that says "The VENUE graphical user interface requires a resolution of at least 1024 by 768 pixels" and it refuses to start.
However, the resolution of the Surface is in fact already *much* higher than this, at 2160x1440.
Obviously Windows own DPI scaling is turned on because it has to be in order for anything to be legible on the 12" high-DPI screen. I suspect the VENUE software's incorrect detection has something to do with this.
Any way to work around this for now? Can it be fixed in future releases?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Avid

Default Re: VENUE Offline Editor doesn't start on high-res display

Your screen is 2160x1440 and Windows has 200% scaling turned on. Since VENUE not a DPI-aware application. Windows tries to scale VENUE it by itself and tells VENUE that it has a 1080x720 screen. VENUE SW always takes 1024x768 pixels and obviously doesn't fit to the reported screen size. So the error.

Sometimes this compatibility scaling breaks things instead of fixing them.

Could you please try VENUE Standalone 4.5.1?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:00 PM

Hello.

I just had the same issue as original thread. I've used the Standalone software before and it has worked fine, however I just downloaded the latest 4.5.3 version (for a gig this weekend on a Profile).
When I opened the Venue Standalone software, a dialogue box said "The VENUE graphical user interface requires a resolution of at least 1024 by 768 pixels" and the software didn't open. I went to the control panel settings and adjusted the screen resolution to 1024 by 768. No change. I also adjusted the compatibility scaling to 100%. No change.

Running: MacBook Pro 13" OS X El Capitan. 10.11.6
Parallels 13.3.2
Windows 10
Venue Standalone software 4.5.3 (I even tried to download 4.1.3 and 3.0 to see if those opened..same problem).

Please kindly let me know what I need to do to adjust the screen resolution. Or what I'm doing wrong...

Many thanks

deb
Old 07-18-2018, 03:59 AM
Avid

Where did you adjust the scaling? Was it in <right-click on desktop> -> Display settings -> Scale and Layout?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 AM

Hi Valentyn,

For scaling: I clicked on "Change Display settings (system settings)" / Display / Advanced Scaling settings / Custom scaling and then I entered 100%.

Under "Display" there was also an option that said " A custom scale factor is set. (Click here to) Turn off custom scaling and sign out."

I had tried that too, as a trouble shooting process. No change. (You are correct as per below, windows defaults to 200% scaling)

Thank you for responding so quickly!
Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Avid

But why not setting 100% directly via combo box at display settings? In any case it's weird that 100% didn't help running VENUE.

What is your screen resolution as reported at that page?
Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Hi Valentyn,

Screen resolution was still showing 1024 x 768.

I have to click on "Advanced Scaling Settings" to adjust scaling. I entered 100 in the "Custom Scaling Size" box. Windows then says "the custom scale factor won't be applied until you Sign Out". So I signed out, but when I signed in again, the scaling had defaulted to 200. I tried that 3x, just to be sure.

I also tried setting scaling to 100, but not signing out, but Venue software gives me same message.

Thank you again. I am grateful for your time.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 AM
Avid

Hm, that's weird that scaling reverts.

Please try another thing: open properties of C:\Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\D-Show\GUI.exe and go to Compatibility tab. There choose "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and choose "Application" in the drop down list below.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 AM

You are a genius! It worked! Thank you!

The Software screen is really small. I can adjust screen resolution to a visually larger size, but it only holds for 5 seconds, then goes back small. Anyways, I can get my file built... Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.