Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Kontakt & multiple outs (to PT aux inputs)

How do I configure Kontakt 3.5 so that I can I have multiple outs to choose in Kontakt > multiple plug-in inputs in PT aux tracks? By default I get only the four Kontakt auxes showing up there.

I guess it is possible, as it is in Sampletank, too. Yet I cannot find it in the Kontakt manual (the chapter on the Output section does not give the answer).
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Kontakt & multiple outs (to PT aux inputs)

Create a stereo instrument track and instantiate Kontakt. In Kontakt, click the mixer icon to show the channels, if they are not already visible. Click "Add Channel" to add one or more channels. At the bottom of a channel, click "Conf." to configure the channel's name, number of audio channels, and physical out. In the configuration dialogue, when you click on a channel's existing physical output, a pop-up window appears, allowing you to change the output if you want. Back in your Aux track, you should see these new channels available to you as inputs to the Aux track.

If your goal is to have multiple MIDI tracks triggering multiple instruments in Kontakt, may I suggest using Instrument tracks instead of MIDI and Aux tracks? As you may know, an Instrument track combines a MIDI and Aux track together. Using Instrument tracks will save you a lot of screen space.

Make sure you set the MIDI out of each Instrument track in PT to the desired MIDI channel, and that the MIDI in on each Kontakt instrument matches this. Make sure the audio Output of each instrument in Kontakt is set to the correct Kontakt channel, and that the Audio input of each Instrument track matches this.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks a lot, gdugan. Now I managed to use the four Kontakt aux channels as outputs (and not just auxes) for Kontakt instruments.

Yet is that all? Other channels in the dialog you mentioned (the one after clicking Conf.) seem to be named "unassigned". Nothing happens by setting those as outputs. Am I doing something wrong?

I had not thought about using instrument tracks that way. Ah, so obvious, so great! Now I have to rewrite every VI template Saves a lot of my time, great tip!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't use the aux channels for what you want to do. The aux channels are for the aux sends in Kontakt. Click the "AUX" button on a Kontakt instrument to see them. You should be able to create many "regular" channels (up to 32 stereo channels I think, but I've never tried it).

For example, say you wanted to create 8 regular channels in Kontakt, along with the 4 Aux channels:

1. Click "Add Channel" until you have 8 regular channels.
2. Click the "Conf" button, name the channels "Kch1" through "Kch8," and make sure "Audiochannels" says 2 for all of them.
3. For Channel name Kch1, assign outputs plugin out #1 and plugin out #2. For Channel name Kch2, assign outputs plugin out #3 and plugin out #4. Do this for all the channels, up to Kch8, which should be assigned outputs plugin out #15 and plugin out #16. You will have to use outputs that are marked "Unassigned", as well as outputs that are currently being used for aux channels. Note that the name in the "Channel name" area does not match the name in the "physical out" area. This will be fixed in a minute.
4. For the 4 aux channels, assign their outputs to plugin out #17 and #18, #19 and #20, #21 and #22, and #23 and #24.
5. Click "Make Default."
6. Close and re-open the session.
7. Click the "Conf" button, and the the names in the "Channel name" area should match the names in the "physical out" area.

Now, whenever you instantiate Kontakt, you should get 8 stereo channels and 4 aux channels for your use, ready to receive MIDI from, and send audio to, 8 Instrument tracks in PT.

See "Chapter 12: The Output Section" in the Kontakt 3 manual for more info.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 AM

Now I see. Your instructions were way better than those in the Kontakt manual. It works now. Thank you very much.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 AM

Hey Jessi -

On a semi-related note, how's Kontakt 3.5 workin' for ya? Last I heard there were some compatibility issues with Kontakt and Pro Tools. I've got a copy of Kontakt 3 but haven't installed it yet.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 AM

No problems so far. Though I must say I have not put it under enormous loads yet. NI says the 3.5. update resolves the compatibility issues, and having used already the 3.5. beta for couple of months and now the official update, it really seems so. So go for it. The 3.5. update is free for Kontakt 3 users.