Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

If I remember correctly, I purchased my 001 in 1999-- and I believe it was available for some time before that. 5+ years is an extremely long lifespan for what is essentially a computer peripheral. Seriously, with computers, and technology evolving conitinually- is it Digi's fault that everything else around them changes?

Much of the standard computer technology available when the 001 was introduced is no longer the standard-- it's legacy too. A company can't support a legacy product forever (without developing completely separate software at least)-- it restricts and hinders advancement, takes longer to develop, requires more resources for development and testing-- which all costs more money. As business owner, I don't blame them.

It's no secret that this was going to happen-- Digi stopped producing 001's a while ago. Things change, and people move on or they don't. If you're running OS9 on your current setup, you can keep doing it forever (or as long as your compuer stays alive at least)-- no one is making you switch to anything-- well , at least until your computer does die, then you'll only be able to get a machine that runs OSX. And hey, the 001 works fine with the current OSX version of PT too!
---
c
Old 04-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Where, I don't think I've seen you so anti-DIGI before. And although I know their need to move on to bigger better things, I don't feel the 002 or 002r are a vast improvement on the 001. Sure better convertors and pre's but who, doing pro recordings, uses them anyway. Most 001 owners have included all these improvements because of the 001's limited abillities. So to have to upgrade to a 002 and end up using all the aftermarket gear anyway and bypassing the actuall 002's pre's and converters is to say the least a little annoiying.

I was not interrested in the 002 when it came out and I feel like if I want to stay with the program that I'm being forced to go there regardless of how I feel about the product. I've always considered Protools to be "software" not hardware (even though they are a self professed hardware company)

From what I remember, Where, you are still on OS 9 so in actual fact this "end of the road" scenario doesn't even affect you. But I would like to be left with a fully functional version of PTLE in OSX, because I do follow the upgrade path since swithching to Panther. However if I'm being forced to upgrade my "great" 001, then I would like something worth upgrading to. maybe a 003 with Sync, Surround, and the biggest mistake with the 002 a PAD ON THE MIC PRE's!!!!!!!!! (who thought that one up) even the 001 has a PAD c'mon DIGI.

I'm very familiar with the PTLE software and will continue using it, but I really couldn't give a toss about their overbloated dongles. I use 3rd party hardware and achieve pro results because of that. So now I'm stuck in 6.4 whether I like it or not...that is untill an affordable improvement over the 002r comes out.

NO HD HERE BILL GATES!

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 04-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Also I would definitely go with Logic before DP.
I guess Logic will be iLogic till next next year

besides,

the abandoning of the 001 is as sensless as can be since the G5 is only half a year old and there are hundreds of thousands of G4 users out there that won´t buy a G5 for the next two years or so,
at least so the 001 would still be usefull the next two years at least. Till DIGI comes out with a REAL improvement.

regs
Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM

Much of the reason support is being dropped is because PCI slots have changed and the 001 won't work in any of the current Macs you can buy.

I do agree that Digi should have offered a firewire box sooner.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM

There's a difference between upgrading to OSX and upgrading to the 002. If your pissed becuase Digi isn't putting out anything in OS9 anymore - what do you want them to do?

I have an 001 on a dual 1.25 machine that runs flawlessly in OSX. You can work in OSX on the 001 for a long time before you need to replace it. No matter what software you choose your going to have to go to OSX someday anyway (if you stay on a Mac). Take a slow upgrade path to OSX and then decide if you want the 002/Digi or something else. There are many options.

It doesn't have to be as painful as it may seem.

C
Old 04-23-2004, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The 002 still runs on OS 9.
And is even more money to "upgrade".

I never said it wasn't - I was merely pointing out the fact that those who are comfortable with OS9 land can stay there with the 002 and use the latest version of PT.

Quote:
I enjoy working in PT, but this is a slap in the face to anyone who purchased an 001 IMHO.

I'm surprised to see this coming from the king of "if it ain't broke". If your system is so rock solid and you're happy with all the features, then why are you even worried? Digi's not going to your studio and smashing up your 001, or turning off your power, are they? To the best of my knowledge, your 001 should still work for years to come.....just not with the "latest and greatest" version of PT - but then, you've never concerned yourself with that, so why start?

Quote:
How long before the 002R goes the same fate for the 003?

If it's as long as the 001 lasted, I'll be happy.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:16 PM

I agree that Digi was WAY late in coming out with a Firewire hardware interface. Yup, I bought my Digi 001 late and before the Mbox (which is no 001 or 002/002R). I was waiting as long as I could for a decent Digi multi-track FW interface before giving in and buying the Digi 001. Digi could have done it and still have supported the 001 back then.

I said it before, it's unreasonable to expect Digidesign to support a legacy product when they need to advance with computer technology. But, if 6.4 is THE last software support for the 001 and they have not fixed CoreAudio...well, that's just WRONG. BTW, I've not heard that it's fixed, so if it is...I will be all apologies.

Digidesign requires you to use their hardware in order to use PT, they need to be profitable, so I'm okay with that. But, not when they are LATE, BEHIND the current technology with their hardware upgrades/options. Well, I will be looking at MY options when I go to upgrade and it may not be a PT LE system. It's a shame.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:54 PM

Now that the 001 has been put out to pasture,,that would put the 002 were the 001 was,,which would, i feel,, leave a gap were the 002 was,, I've said this before but i wouldn't mind betting there will be a replacement for the 002 by the winter NAMM show that will be FW800 and, i would go as far as to say,, will support 48 or maybe even 64 tracks,,,, mac might even be running the PPC 980 G5's by then,,there about ready for a speed bump,,
Old 04-24-2004, 01:14 AM

Default what\'s the difference?

For all the upgrades and plug-in changes, there has really been very little improvement when it comes to LE...

Yeah, it looks cooler, and you can do time compression/expanion (that sounds awful), but a digi 001 running under 9 with a good word clock and coverters sounds fantastic, and always will.

The increased sampling rates in the 002 don't really sound much better... (sorry 002 owners). What's more is that firewire absolutely has less bandwidth than PCI and always will.... so it's more taxing, and needs higher buffer sizes to achieve the same thing that the 001 did with ease.

Digi is doing amazing things, but the real sonic benefits don't come into play till you get into HD, which i use a lot. Even then, HD sounds better because of some incredible A/Ds that you don't get with the 002.

I own an 002, and the only time i fire it up is when I am hired to edit drums/tune vox for an HD session. Otherwise, it's the 001 90% of the time.

SO what they aren't supporting it? Use it till it goes up in smoke.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: what\'s the difference?

I get better performance in 10.3.3 than in 9.2.2 with my 001, so there's a reason to go with PTLE 6.x. Also, command focus mode and the Pow-R Dither are also good reasons to abandon OS 9 and PTLE 5.x.

My take on this, I like my 001 better than the other options. I'll stick with the 001 until there is a better LE option (e.g. PCI/PCI-X based) than the 001. It does what I want it to and I can't complain because it has been trouble free for the years I've had it. When it no longer suits my needs I will assess what is available and upgrade...but not until then.

Remember, there is always something new...just focus on your needs and don't fall prey to the Latest And Greatest Syndrome (LAGS). I think for most 001 owners the best use of upgrade funds would be an Apogee Rosetta 800 and a few good preamps & mics. Spend money on the front end...the part that you can keep using regardless of what Digi sends down the pipeline.

Just mt $0.02

Always err on the side of perfection.