Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Default Problem Opening ProTools M-Powered Essential

I got ProTools M-Powered Essential recently, and today, the program won't open, it doesn't even have an error message, it just won't open.

I tried reinstalling and uninstalling it over and over again but I get the same result. I'm running on Windows 7 Home Premium and my laptop is relatively new as well. Please help.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Problem Opening ProTools M-Powered Essential

Can you give us all a bit more information about your laptop - does it meet the minimum specification?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Cool Re: Problem Opening ProTools M-Powered Essential

I am having the exact same problem.

I have installed the driver for Fast Track successfully. I opened the M-Audio Fast track properties from the control panel and it says the device is connected. The device also shows in my Device Manager.

I did not install the other two drivers (Micro and Producer) as I do not have a keyboard or microphone.

!!!UPDATE!!!
After installation of the Pro Tools software completes, an install for Anti Piracy software from PACE installs. The install completes, I reboot, and after reboot I get errors pertaining to a Microsoft Register Server application. So it seems the problem is related to the Anti Piracy software installation failing and as a result the program will not start.

I went to the PACE website and downloaded their latest drivers and installed them, only to get the same errors on reboot.

I wonder if there is a windows service that needs to be running for PACE to install correctly?

System Details
Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) (Build 7600) 64bit
DirectX Version 11.0

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+
Asus M4A-78-EM Motherboard
Northbridge AMD 780G rev. 00
Southbridge AMD ID439D rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 200.6 MHz (CPU/5)
Radeon HD 5870
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Make sure you are on Pro Tools Essential 8.0.3. You can find the update here:
www.m-audio.com/essentialFAQ
Old 12-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Thank you for your response!

I have the 8.0.3 CD.

Protools seems to install fine. And drivers seem to be running fine. I really think this is a problem with the PACE Antipiracy software.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:02 PM

FINALLY!! Success! In case anyone else ever runs into problems installing ProTools M-Powered Essential on Win 7 64 bit....

1. Start by installing the drivers for you M-Audio device (in my case Fast Track USB).
2. You will more than likely get _ _ _ _ _errors after installing the driver. Here is a link explaining how to get past this.
3. Once you stop getting errors install Pro Tools - BUT DON'T REBOOT!!
4. When the installation is complete you are going to have to turn off DEP (Digital Execution Protection).

"Why?" - The reason the software wouldn't run was because when you rebooted your system the first thing it did when the OS loaded was to try and register a DLL using regsrv32. FOr whatever reason DEP wouldn't let regsrv32 do it's job, and the result of this was the install not completing properly.

On other OSes you can simply set DEP to allow regsrv32 to do what it wants. Unfortunately you have Windows 7 64bit - and DEP wont allow you to change it's mind about letting regsrv32 register a DLL. There, now you are smei educated...let's continue.

5. Turn of DEP by typing...

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

..in the "Search Programs and files" box, found at the bottom of your START menu.

6. Cross your fingers, and reboot!!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM

giv'mhell,

I've had all the same issues...and then some. Call tech support and they had not one clue in their clue bag. Also, the published unistall did not work on my machine leaving my other programs not working.

Will try re-installation with the above recs. Do you have that link (above) for correct driver installation?

thx,

Stan