Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Default Pro Tools On Multiple Computers

I considering getting some friends together and trying to offer dirt cheep demos for local bands. I say dirt cheep because we are not pros, we can get pretty decent sounded mixes and we want to do this just for fun, I tell you all this only so you understand my intentions. Neither of these friends of mine have their own copy of Pro Tools and although they role is more to help with the recording side of things (whereas I'm playing "engineer") it would be nice to get them something so they can help clean up and edit tracks before I start the final mixdown process. I have access to spare interfaces, and I have the pro tools 9 software, I am wondering if there is a cheep way to just buy additional licenses and put them on two iLoks.

If this is something Avid is OKAY with great, I'm in no way looking to rip them off, their software has been amazing for me and I want to do this legitimately (If you're a moderator reading this please let me know if purchasing multiple licenses for less than the cost of pro tools is against the rules).

Worst case scenario I will most likely install pro tools on their comps and let them borrow my iLok when needed, it sure would be nice if we could all work on pro tools at the same time though. Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-Josh
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools On Multiple Computers

you can load the software onto as many machines as you like, but you can only authorize as many as you own the license and have it on your ilok. So your friends can load it, but you will need to give them the ilok and only one person/machine at a time. I do not expect avid to give you a break on multiple licenses

I use 2 machines, on home made and a laptop, I take my ilok with all my software with me when I use the laptop
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmergens View Post
I considering getting some friends together and trying to offer dirt cheep demos for local bands. I say dirt cheep because we are not pros, we can get pretty decent sounded mixes and we want to do this just for fun, I tell you all this only so you understand my intentions. Neither of these friends of mine have their own copy of Pro Tools and although they role is more to help with the recording side of things (whereas I'm playing "engineer") it would be nice to get them something so they can help clean up and edit tracks before I start the final mixdown process. I have access to spare interfaces, and I have the pro tools 9 software, I am wondering if there is a cheep way to just buy additional licenses and put them on two iLoks.

If this is something Avid is OKAY with great, I'm in no way looking to rip them off, their software has been amazing for me and I want to do this legitimately (If you're a moderator reading this please let me know if purchasing multiple licenses for less than the cost of pro tools is against the rules).

Worst case scenario I will most likely install pro tools on their comps and let them borrow my iLok when needed, it sure would be nice if we could all work on pro tools at the same time though. Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks,

-Josh

As long as you have a iLok with a valid license for each computer your good. You collaborators can run PTLE even if they have older Digi interfaces.. You just need to make sure that you are saving sessions that are backwards compatible with the older versions of PT.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 AM

I have a related question/issue. (I think) I have Pro Tools 8.0.4 on my desktop computer and my laptop. My acapella quartet practices and records at one of the member's house, as we have "conditioned" one of his bedrooms for recording.
I take my laptop and interface, 002r, to his house to record sessions, then bring it all back to my house to mix. I use an external hard drive to save the sessions. The available plugins on my desktop computer are not on my laptop.
Consequently, if I find a plug in effect while mixing with my desktop, specifically, AIR reverb and chorus, the session obviously will not play the same on the laptop.
I did d/l 8.0.5 update to the laptop in hopes to correcting this, but alas, .5 is just an update.
Can I not uninstall Pro Tools from my laptop and then copy the version from my desktop and install to laptop? This isn't a critical issue, but it would be nice to be able to use the same desired plugins on both units.
Thanks for your highly esteemed advice and input.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 AM

I would try to reinstall on the computer that's giving you problems.

The AIR reverb and Chorus are part of the free plugins that have come with Protools since v.8, so there's no reason they shouldn't be on both computers.

If you try to just copy the program from one computer to the other, you may have problems.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I would try to reinstall on the computer that's giving you problems.

The AIR reverb and Chorus are part of the free plugins that have come with Protools since v.8, so there's no reason they shouldn't be on both computers.

If you try to just copy the program from one computer to the other, you may have problems.
Thanks for the input. I was able to get the plug ins on both computers, although, I uninstalled Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 from the laptop and reinstalled and made sure that whatever I did not opt to install the first time was included in the install this time. The AIR plugins showed up.
Thanks again.