Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
mvh9874 mvh9874 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
Default LE crossgrade unfair price

I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair. This change in the way AVID are doing things regarding hardware/software means that those who have bought LE hardware at any point in the past are now having the value of their hardware product probably wiped out. Surely AVID should see this, and registered LE hardware owners a more reasonable crossgrade ($50 seems fair).
At this time, it makes sense to break away from the past policy of having to own Digidesign hardware to use PT. BUT, this is penalising those customers who bought these products, which served to establish Pro Tools as the industry standard.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
msat msat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DK
Posts: 57
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

I second that!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
crizdee's Avatar
crizdee crizdee is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 10,476
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair. This change in the way AVID are doing things regarding hardware/software means that those who have bought LE hardware at any point in the past are now having the value of their hardware product probably wiped out. Surely AVID should see this, and registered LE hardware owners a more reasonable crossgrade ($50 seems fair).
At this time, it makes sense to break away from the past policy of having to own Digidesign hardware to use PT. BUT, this is penalising those customers who bought these products, which served to establish Pro Tools as the industry standard.
Hi,

You think you got hit bad!!!! what about us PT HD 6 accel owners

And $350 (£300) to get 512 busses and voice allocation and the rare occasion i want to risk taking my ilok out of the vault and use my PT9 at home


Chris
__________________
PT MAC Troubleshooting... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com


PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
SumItAnalog SumItAnalog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 22
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
I've been thinking about this, and the $250 crossgrade for LE users seems unfair.
Oh my goodness, whine whine.

They basically take the HD version of the software, tweak some stuff and let the LE users get it for a small upgrade price and we want to whine about it.

People have been begging for a software only version, claiming they'd pay real money for it, and now they do it and more, and we want to get for a measly $50.

I for one applaud Avid for doing so much in the short time of their ownership and hope the trend continues.

bottom line, if you dont see value in this upgrade then dont get it, wait till the next one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
dk01 dk01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 97
Thumbs down Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Honestly, the feature set you are getting out of HD, that was never in LE and never promised and therefore you never had it or were OWED it... is insane!

Avid great job! Avid great features! Avid great job on upgrades! Avid awesome job on pricing it!

I have an 003 that frankly who gives a freak if I paid $1000 for it or not, I already have a Focusrite top of the line interface and never once thought what a waste, the 003 served its purpose...

Honestly, go to Reaper, go to cheap options, why whine about a system maybe you just shouldn't be basing your studio off of...

I am happy to help continue to fund this company forward, it owns the industry and allows you to be part of it with lower end solutions (that which they basically just gave you every extra feature HD has for merely a few dollars per each of those features!)

The whining here basically no matter what so regularly almost sickens me, go give your $50 to Haiti and maybe do something else with your time?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
amauribr amauribr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 9
Cool Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumItAnalog View Post
Oh my goodness, whine whine.

They basically take the HD version of the software, tweak some stuff and let the LE users get it for a small upgrade price and we want to whine about it.

People have been begging for a software only version, claiming they'd pay real money for it, and now they do it and more, and we want to get for a measly $50.

I for one applaud Avid for doing so much in the short time of their ownership and hope the trend continues.

bottom line, if you dont see value in this upgrade then dont get it, wait till the next one.
Totally agree!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
TOM@METRO's Avatar
TOM@METRO TOM@METRO is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,875
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

I'm shocked that it's this low. I would have expected that for Avid to give Native such ground, they would have asked for more.
__________________
~ tom thomas

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Sounds Expensive's Avatar
Sounds Expensive Sounds Expensive is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 172
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I would have expected that for Avid to give Native such ground, they would have asked for more.


SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
__________________
www.propellersound.ca
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
TOM@METRO's Avatar
TOM@METRO TOM@METRO is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 16,875
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post


SSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
__________________
~ tom thomas

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
ddjembe mutombo ddjembe mutombo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Harford, CT
Posts: 49
Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Really, people whining about the price of the cross grade? If you don't need the added features, continue to use LE 8 with your hardware. Otherwise, shell out the $250 and don't complain.

I feel like the only people that complain about the $250 upgrade price tag are the people who pirate plug-ins, mix & record in untreated environments, and own KRKs. If you are truly an "audio engineer" then you should be throwing around $250 like it is chump change.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossgrade Price Drop stcowboy Pro Tools 10 2 04-06-2012 08:18 AM
Best price - PT10 Crossgrade? ASTR macOS 5 04-03-2012 11:20 AM
PT9 crossgrade price... SteveFireland Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) 55 01-02-2011 06:54 PM
crossgrade price for Europe is extremely unfair Franco1967 Pro Tools 9 14 11-07-2010 04:20 AM
PCI to PCIe crossgrade special... unfair? manichouse Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) 0 11-01-2006 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com