Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 10-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Default Shift Select Doesn't work

Hi,

I have PT 11.3.1, running on a MacPro with Yosemite 10.10.

I've been learning PT now for a while. I'm aware of a short cut - shift select on multiple tracks - but, it doesn't and hasn't worked on my PT either on this mac, or a previous one!

Is there a setting in preference that needs to be turned on? If so - any idea where it is?

Many thanks,

Kyle
Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Shift Select Doesn't work

whats the shortcut supposed to do? You may be thinking of Alt+Shift Select.

Also make sure the little A/Z button in the top right corner of the edit window is turned on.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Hi - what I'm trying to do is select more than one track at a time - e.g. if I wanted to select and delete several tracks at the one time, instead of deleting them one at a time! As I understand it - all I have to do is hold down shift while adding more tracks to my selection. However, doesn't work - as soon as I select on another track - the first one deselects - I can only select one at a time. I should also be able to hold down the Command Key to add to the selection without selecting tracks in between (i.e. Non-Contiguously). But, that too doesn't work.

Curiously, I can select multiple sound clips by using the shift key - but not multiple tracks.

I have toggled the 'AZ' button on and off without effect - still can't shift select.

It seems to me that there may be a setting in the preferences to allow this. Or perhaps even either a setting in my macs system preferences or perhaps the keyboard itself (e.g. an 'F' key, or 'NumberPad On' function). However, nothing that I can so far find.

I though for sure by now, I would have 'bumped' into the solution - but no such luck - hence, I decided to post what would otherwise seem like an 'easy' fix!!

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 10-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Edit: was wrong about the shortcut, just tried it in PT. Was mixing it up with another one sorry.

Last edited by DBK; 10-11-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:01 AM

I have no idea why this happens on your system, and I'm not aware of any PT preference that can cause this behavior.

If you link track and edit selection; are you able to click'n'drag across multiple tracks with the Selector tool to select those tracks?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Hi Stig,

Thanks for jumping in here - this is really frustrating me. To be honest, this has been the way PT behaved since I started with it. I knew it was wrong, but assumed there was something I was just missing. However, several months later, and I've given up waiting - had to go ask.

So, in answer to your question - actually not sure I know what you mean by 'if you link track and edit selection'. However, I can tell you that using the various tools with sound clips - all of the usual Multiple Selection tricks work.

The problem is simply with the Channels. I can only select one at a time, in either the mix or the edit (timeline) window. I've tried using different keyboards - no good.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - I waste a lot of time doing things to channels one at a time!!!

Thanks,

Kyle.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:46 AM

I made a short video about this.

https://youtu.be/BZLWEKGFpIs
Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM

Hi Stig,

Well - that does work - but, I have to use the Selector Tool, and I have to make the selecting in the Timeline. I still can't multiple select on the channels themselves. Every time I do, it just deselects the previously selected channel.

So thanks, in the meantime I'll just use you'r workaround, but if we can figure out why my system is functioning as it's supposed to - that would be great.

Thanks again,

Kyle
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 AM

If you click on the track names to select, which it seems like you do, I have no clue, Kyle. I will ping my fellow mods about this.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 AM

I tested this and PT behaves as expected when clicking on track names to shift select, but not as you'd expect when clicking in the timeline to shift select.

Seems like a small bug, I'll log it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.