Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Pro tools could not set samplerate..

HI guys, im new to this forum. But since im not new to pro tools and through the year have had several issues with it i thought that i might make sense to join theese common grounds for people fighting with the software..

lately i have had problems with a recurring message that goes: Pro tools "Could not complete your request because Pro Tools could not set sample rate to specified value.." when trying to open or even when trying to create new session. This happens mainly when i try to open projects with samplerates that differ from samplerates ive been going with for some time. But then after the first flash of this failure, i cant open any session without this notification.. Sometimes it helps to create a new session in the samplerate that i need to open a session in and then i can open the session and sometimes it doesnt help. Im really disturbed by this and i need to know whats going on so that i can do something about it! i tried searching duc but i cant find any real explanation and mostly people found their own weird workarounds..

Im working on a PC with asus motherboard intel i7 8700k 3.6 processor. win 10
and im using a SSD HD aswell as a M.2 HD for tracking..
Using a SSL Madixtreme through a antelope orion

latest version of pro tools 2018

please help me, im going crazy..

Last edited by PerJohnsen01; 12-05-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot soundcard in description
Old 12-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Pro tools could not set samplerate..

Hi, welcome to the community!

Take a look at your playback engine, is everything allright there? It sounds like a mismatch between PT and your hardware to me...
Old 12-05-2018, 04:34 PM

And go to Control Panel>Sound and under Playback and Record make sure your onboard sound card is the default and disable your interface, leaving it exclusively for Pro Tools. Even if you've done this previously, a Windows update can change it.

And, as Janne said, check if there is a mismatch between PT and your interface and/or that your interface is not set to a sample rate PT can't use.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM

I made a likely rather rambling post about this exact issue months ago. I'm 99% certain it is an issue between Pro Tools and your interface. It ONLY happens with third party interfaces.
The only workaround I found was to do the following...

1) Start with making sure your interface is set to the desired sample rate you want to use
2) Start up pro tools and make sure you're selecting the interface's playback engine. You can hold the "N" key down at start up to select it to be sure
3) DO NOT OPEN AN EXISTING SESSION! Create a NEW session at the desired sample rate which is also what you set your interface to. It should load up fine
4) Close this "new" session and open the previously saved session(s) you want to load up, given they are all at the same sample rate.

you will need to do this every single time you want to change sample rates.

This happens to me on my PreSonus Studio 192. However, using "Avid" or "qualified" hardware will not cause this issue. For example, I do not have this issue if I am using my Digi 003 Rack+ (even though not technically qualified for PT2018.X it is from DigiDesign who was taken over by Avid)

Check out my post here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398532

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 12-06-2018, 02:36 PM

Being able to set the sample rate on your interface from within Pro Tools depends on your interface's drivers. Some, like RME, allow it, other manufacturers, no.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction