Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Default MIDI Wait For Note start delay

Using MIDI Wait for Note, I get a little pause when I hit the first note before everything starts, sometimes. It seems to vary in length from instantaneous like 7.4 was, to 100 ms or more. It seems random, but I haven't really tried to chase it down too far.

I'm guessing it's just an old, slow computer glitch, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is noticing it.

Dual 2.0 G5, HD3 Accel, 128 samples, 1 processor, 95% CPU, Level 2.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Re: MIDI Wait For Note start delay

MIDI wait for note is a USELESS feature designed by/for non-musicians.

The way it SHOULD have always been was the way it was in VISION almost 20 years ago:

1. Start transport with "wait for note" enabled, RECORD...
2. The instant an incoming midi event is detected, you are now in midi record.
3. basically, it's auto input/autopunch for midi, triggered by the musician.

As implemented in PT, it's a feature that's completely useless for a musician.

Considering many Vision features have now been added to PT8, you would think...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM

Agreed, that would be fine too, but all I'm asking is how to get the current implementation to work like it did in the last version. I guess I'm not a real musician, 'cause I get plenty of use out of it as is.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 AM

The problem with midi wait for note is that it assumes you are working at a fixed bpm. What if you are working without a click, and not on-grid?

I did not intend to insult anyone with my "musician" comments... please accept my apologies. It's just that so much of the music software that we have is made by guys who would look at me like a deer in the headlights, when I would suggest that some musicians work without a click, and some work without the grid. And some music doesn't always begin on beat 1 of the measure. MIDI wait for not could have been great -- but after all these years, why is it that Vision is the only software that was able to do this intelligently?

I have an old G3 w/OS9 that I have on the shelf and I have StudioVision on it... I will fire this up every now and then to salvage something from the past... and I get that warm fuzzy feeling...

Sorry for ranting on your thread. I gave up on midi wait for note years ago and found another workflow.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM

What's your workflow? One bar pre-roll?

That's probably what I'll have to go back to... like Logic. It just feel SLOW after being able to dive right in on the bar line or wherever I lay the cursor.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Change your Voices to 96 at 2 DSP. This will give you a buffer of 64 samples. I bet that is the delay you are experiencing. Try it out.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearInc View Post
What's your workflow? One bar pre-roll?
or more... I use "option-click" in the edit window to specify the exact place of the preroll. You can change this for every punch if you want. No thinking. Just option-click then record. Not as elegant as auto-punch on first midi note, but good enough for the past 12 years.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
Change your Voices to 96 at 2 DSP. This will give you a buffer of 64 samples. I bet that is the delay you are experiencing. Try it out.
Yeah, that's my usual voice set up, but the delay is inconsistent. One time it'll start right away, the next it's a big pause. And this is the same punch point, same instrument, even playing the same chord on the punch in.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM

For me it was never an issue (the delay) until PT8. Now I seem to get it sporadically. Usually every other take.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

+1 for fixing midi wait for note.

I use midi wait for note all day every day. If I added up all the measures I could have waited through during a 2 bar count in it would be a lifetime.

My workflow with midi wait for record used to be much better. But now the first bar won't record properly at all do to the lag.

Dynamic transport drives me nuts! I need a silent break between takes to think about the music I am composing. (Imagine that! hehe!) When the end of a section arrives I need the song to stop, not jump to the beginning and play! Dynamic transport is like a rude engineer! lol! Seriously though I've tried it many times and this old dog can't learn it...

Midi wait for note used to be a lifesaver, even though it has the worst key in the world assigned to it. (F11) Most of us keyboard people play best with our right hand, so F11 is really a stretch every time we need to activate midi wait for note or turn it off.

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T