Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 AM

Default Re: New Hackintosh / PT7 monster HD PCI Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Baird View Post
Second, the chassis video doesn't function, so I need to figure out who gets which output.
do you mean the onboard video on the motherboard doesn't work?

i was about to order motherboard and ram and cpu, and bodge the rest together with what i have just to test.

but it's necessary to get a video card? choosing this seems to be a big thing when it comes to os x install..

Quote:
But I'd like to make a small disclaimer here: if Apple still supported PCI I would still have bought an Apple box. And while I'm sure Avid studied the matter thoroughly before setting the prices on card upgrades, the buyin is still just too rich for me. The math comes out to about 7K out of pocket to move to current cards and Apple CPUs versus around $1800 for what I think will turn out to be a very sturdy and stable system.
Same here. I wanted to get a mac mini or a macbook pro and go thunderbolt to the pci-x cards. but looks like this won't happen.

i don't like being forced to go magama chassis and mac pro (which doesn't rack mount very well) and end up with 8U +.

this will be a rig for me to use, not to rent out to others or for install in a studio. and anyway you still get grey screens and other crashes with legit systems unless you are careful. especially so with G5 rig up to the latest legit install for pci-x cards.