Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Help with replacing audio files with cleaned up versions

I have a situation where a set of audio files that have already been cut, trimmed and edited in a video project need to be swapped out with identical length and name versions that have been cleaned up in post. Is there a way to use these new files in the project without losing all the edit work that has already been done? Thanks much!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Help with replacing audio files with cleaned up versions

You should just be able to remove the old files from the Audio Files folder and put the new ones in, boot up Pro Tools, open the session and relink the files to your session. You should make a backup of the entire session first though, just in case.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 PM

What if someone backed up the single audio files they want to change, perhaps renaming them with a (1), like "audio 1(1).wav" and then change their replacement audio name to that of what "audio 1.wav" was already called? There shouldn't be any linking problem because the program would be looking for the file name, which would still exist perfectly, except it would actually be the replacement, in disguise. In theory.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryst View Post
What if someone backed up the single audio files they want to change, perhaps renaming them with a (1), like "audio 1(1).wav" and then change their replacement audio name to that of what "audio 1.wav" was already called? There shouldn't be any linking problem because the program would be looking for the file name, which would still exist perfectly, except it would actually be the replacement, in disguise. In theory.
I'm not exactly sure how it works - I think it's explained in the Reference Manual, but I think PT stamps each audio file with a unique reference ID and looks for that first. If it finds the stamped file but the filename has changed then it will probably bring up the relink window and ask to you relink your session to the file you want to use. When I need to do something like that, I usually move the old files to a different directory (or even a new folder inside the Audio Files folder) so that PT will have to bring up the relink window.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys. I will give it a try!