Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 AM

Default Messy session after automated Reconform

Hi,

Just did a 3-reel reconform with Conformalizer. With all these extra edits and inserts, is there a "smart" way of getting rid of all the unwanted automation breakpoints? (erase breakpoints where there's no audio region or something)

It's really messy to look at and I can't imagine it being helpfull for the responiveness of the session.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Messy session after automated Reconform

Select over break-points then hit X (only works on the automation parameter currently selected)

Other option: Select, then write to all enabled automation with a static setting.

Frank.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM

You could also try Control X which will glide all parameters in the selection and as a result clean up the look or,
Control delete which will delete all automation in the selection or,
Thin all, a new command in 8.0.4 which will thin all automation in the selection.
Be careful that you don't delete something that you shouldn't!!

Regards Nick
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Command-option-/ will write a static set of all automation across a selection.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 PM

option-apple-T (thin automation) works well to vape non-useful automation points
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM
The Cargo Cult

I've often thought about adding an optional "automation cleanup" routine at the end of a conform run to tidy up that breakpoint debris.

if I did, which command would you guys prefer for it to call?
write to all?
clear all auto?
glide ?

cheers,
justin
Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 AM

I would always like to keep my existing automation after conform. "Problems" are all those new useless automation breakpoints, which don't actually affect automation at all. But IMO, it's not a big problem. Also, I think that it's Pro Tools that should have the "delete useless automation breakpoints" command after all.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I would always like to keep my existing automation after conform. "Problems" are all those new useless automation breakpoints, which don't actually affect automation at all. But IMO, it's not a big problem. Also, I think that it's Pro Tools that should have the "delete useless automation breakpoints" command after all.
I also pretty much ignore those break-points. I never noticed that they made the session slower. For me it´s only been more a "cosmetic" than a real issue since nothing is playing there anyway.

frank.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I also pretty much ignore those break-points. I never noticed that they made the session slower. For me it´s only been more a "cosmetic" than a real issue since nothing is playing there anyway.

frank.
It is a cosmetic thing, I agree, haven't noticed any issues with performance yet, but I use a HD2 pretty much maxed out, so I have to be very organized to make that work. (low budget feature). And besides that, I hate faders clunking all over the place for no reason.

Speaking of faders; Anyone for a no preamps, 16/24 fader, Eucon enabled, integrated keyboard Digi Controlsurface? Where's the good news ;-)?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
The Cargo Cult

the problem I have with leftover automation in those gap areas is that at some point I'm gonna fill the gap with audio and depending on how I do that, the automation in that area might get left behind. and it's usually a snap up to zero dB which I may not notice right away.

the other issue is that plugin automation breakpoints are only accurate to within a couple of frames so you might find your atmos EQ setting kicks in 2 frames after the scene starts simply because there's a chunk of "nothing" preceding it.

justin