Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Default unofficial \"Problems with PT7\" thread

Hi all!
In an effort ot try and help Digidesign and all of us, I figured why not make a single thread for us to post any problems we have with PT7 in?
So- if you have a problem, first do a search for other threads, in case it didnt make it here.
If no other ref, look here.
If you find it here, then simply say you have the same problem, post system config, and a step-by-step to reproduce.
The more info we provide for a DigiTech that happens by here, the better the chance of resolution, and the faster we get one.

Please keep this thread as clean (posts with a problem, system info, steps to reproduce) as possible; keep comments, or simple "I have that too!" posts out...if you must post an "I get that too!" reply, once again- include system info, steps to reproduce.

If the problem includes plugins- specify plugin version number please!!! This is incredibly important, as certain (namely older) versions could have problems with PT7 (evidenced already, especially if one cruises the Mac TDM forum).

When You Reply
First, change the subject of your reply to describe (very briefly) the problem.

Second, brief overview of problem. If this involves a session being opened that was saved with a previous version of PT, include the previous version number it was saved with.

third, steps to reproduce it. THis way, the rest of us can try, and hopefully this would help Digi to fix, or at least acknowledge, the problem.

Lastly: SYSTEM INFO. Very important! Hardware, AND: DAE buffer, H/W Buffer, number processors, ADC on or off, sample and bit rates, Voice/DSP config (ie, 192 voice, 6 DSP). Also, is I/O used internally clocked, or other. Type of drives being used is also importnat in many cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Default PT7 Splash Takes Too Long To Appear

Yep- all of us that have gone PT7 have seen it.
CLick the icon, and then wait. 5, 10, 15 seconds. Nothing.
So, click again, and then splash appears, and then a warning saying only one Pro Tools can be run at a time.

For those who are sick of being unsure of whether they actually launched Pro Tools, Rail was kind (and ingenius) enough to create a very cool little utility that launches Pro Tools 7 for you, and the splash for his pops up instantly!

Get It Here!

Hopefully Rail does not mind I did this (and if bandwidth becomes an issue- let me know and I iwll host as well), and hopefully wil not mind this: Please- do not send thx to Rail here in this thread! We are trying ot keep it clean and uncluttered, so "Thx Rail!" and "Woohoo! SOmeone else noticed!" and comments like this are simply unnneeded in this particular thread (sorry). One could always post a problem, and include a note at the end saying thx tho!

Thx Rail!!! From all of us!!!
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Default \"Why is Pro Tools 7 doing this?\"

Having issues with Pro Tools 7?
Sorry..and hmmm...

First, try this:
Remove all 3rd party plugins from the ..common files/digidesign/dae/plug-ins folder. Move 'em to the plug-ins(unused) folder for now.
Trash all the Digidesign Databases on your hard drives.
Trash prefs, trash DAE prefs.

If this doesnt do it, and you are having an issue with a single session; or, sessions that were saved with the same, previous version of Pro Tools (but all others are fine):
Report it here. As a workaround: New session, and import all from the problem session(s).

Also of note:
I would suggest backing up your plug-in settings folder(s) regularly, as well as your I/O setups folder, if you have a nice set of I/O setups you regularly use (via Import). I have lost these before, and it sucks. Yes, it was my fault a couple times. But once- it was a Pro Tools installer/uninstaller issue. Better safe than sorry.
Quote:
Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: PT7 Splash Takes Too Long To Appear

Quote:
Yep- all of us that have gone PT7 have seen it.
CLick the icon, and then wait. 5, 10, 15 seconds. Nothing.
So, click again, and then splash appears, and then a warning saying only one Pro Tools can be run at a time.

For those who are sick of being unsure of whether they actually launched Pro Tools, Rail was kind (and ingenius) enough to create a very cool little utility that launches Pro Tools 7 for you, and the splash for his pops up instantly!

Get It Here!

I've just improved the timer and screen redrawing of the utility... if you've previously downloaded it, just replace it with the current download.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 PM

Got the latest revision!!!

Thanks Rail!!!

Nice utility!!!

Len

PS. Anyone seeing strange color shading (lighter colored rectangular bars above and below the center of the drawn waveform) in the edit window when increasing track height in PT7. This is a rarity.. maybe it's my graphics card giving issues?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Anyone seeing strange color shading (lighter colored rectangular bars above and below the center of the drawn waveform) in the edit window when increasing track height in PT7. This is a rarity.. maybe it's my graphics card giving issues?
I'm not seeing that here with a nVidia gForce4 Ti 5200 128 DDR RAM, 1280x1024

Rail
Old 11-10-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Windows dont remember positions on exit.

I have dual 21' LCDs and when I have to maximize them everytime I open ProTools. They always default to my primary monitor. I did not have this problem in 6.9

SYSTEM INFO.

Hardware: P4 3.0 800fsb on Asus P4c800-e, 2GB Kingston Ram, 2x Seagate SATA Barracuda (sp?) Hds. PT 7.0 on Win XP Pro SP2

AND: DAE buffer: Level 2
H/W Buffer:512
number processors:1
ADC on or off: on
sample and bit rates: 16/44.1 - 24/96k Doesnt matter..
Voice/DSP config: 96, 2DSP
I/O used internally clocked: 192 clocked to UA 2192
Type of drives being used is also importnat in many cases.

I have had other problems and I remember saying to myself that I paid $245.00 to be a beta tester. I was pissed. Ill post them when my coffee kicks in. I have a session at 10am CST and Im sure something will rear its ugly head.

-S0nguy
Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Windows dont remember positions on exit.

Quote:
I have dual 21' LCDs and when I have to maximize them everytime I open ProTools. They always default to my primary monitor. I did not have this problem in 6.9
Do you have any screen savers enabled?

Are you talking aboout the main Pro Tools window or the Edit and Mix windows?

Rail
Old 11-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Hi!
I may be experiencing the same thing...

Launch Pro Tools 7, and every time, the app opens maximized in the main monitor...every time, irregardless of how I closed it (properly) the last time, reboots, or whatever. When PT7 finishes launching, I then have to hit the maximize/minimize button for the window, and THEN it will return to the "stretched across both monitors" state.

Next, whichever window I place in the secondary window (either Edit or Mix) cannot be stretched fully within the secondary monitor area of the app and saved, and then reopen session and have it be in the right position; reopen has it nudged to the right several pixels. It seems that if the Edit or Mix window is stretched in the primary area, and if the edge runs into the secondary monitor area even a tiny bit, and the Edit or Mix window is touching that edge, or close to it, while stretched in the secondary, this *causes* the "nudge." If I keep the window in the secondary (Edit or Mix) stretched full vertically, nall is good. Stretch to fill secondary horizontally tho- nudge on reopen. Stretching several pixels shy of full on secondary monitor on each left and right edge tho, and reopen after save and close is fine.

Niether of these occured in 6.9, and not since dual monitors have been supported.

Is that what you are seeing?
Quote:
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Nikki

Try the new version of HD Startup I just posted... it'll maximize the Pro Tools window for you (within 3 secs of the splash going bye bye). Read the .txt file for instructions to disable the maximize.

Also try - instead of using the maximize button -- actually stretch your windows to the size that you want them (even to encase the whole screen as if it were maximized)... does that help?

Rail