Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20?

I recently switched from an 002 to the 18i20. There is almost no comparison in the sound. The Focusrite sounds like an audiophile product compared to the 002. Even playback from the outputs is amazingly better, not to mention the mic pre's, and it is less than half the price with 8 pre's and 2 good DI inputs, two headphone mixes, dim and mute; and you can always add another 8 mic pre's with an optical cable.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonland View Post
I recently switched from an 002 to the 18i20. There is almost no comparison in the sound. The Focusrite sounds like an audiophile product compared to the 002. Even playback from the outputs is amazingly better, not to mention the mic pre's, and it is less than half the price with 8 pre's and 2 good DI inputs, two headphone mixes, dim and mute; and you can always add another 8 mic pre's with an optical cable.
I had the same experience with the 8i6 I just got. Couldn't believe the difference in sound quality. Its like I'm hearing mixes in my sessions for the very first time!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 PM

I have an 18i20 and an 18i8. I link them via the optical and record 12 tracks at 128 on an older Dell laptop. We have an 002 and the sound is definitely fuller with a more pleasing bass response.

Keep in mind the future. FireWire is on its way out. USB is apparently here to stay and Thunderbolt has yet to catch on in audio devices. Since my next laptop is guaranteed NOT to have Firewire I went with the Scarlett series instead of the Saffire.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk
Windows 8.1 Pro
Pro Tools 10.3.8
Focusrite 18i8, 18i20
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_from_RIFAS View Post
I have an 18i20 and an 18i8. I link them via the optical and record 12 tracks at 128 on an older Dell laptop. We have an 002 and the sound is definitely fuller with a more pleasing bass response.

Keep in mind the future. FireWire is on its way out. USB is apparently here to stay and Thunderbolt has yet to catch on in audio devices. Since my next laptop is guaranteed NOT to have Firewire I went with the Scarlett series instead of the Saffire.

I notice you're using a Windows system like me. How has your experience been with the Scarlette and the Mix Control Program? I've had major issues with it when having to switch sample rates from one session to another. I have to completely exit PT (10 or 11), then set the sample rate in the MC program, then re-open PT. I have to do this because I have some older sessions I did in 44.1k instead of 48k (mostly because I forgot to switch it!). Instead of the MC program just reading the new sample rate, and everything goes fine, it switches the rate, but then PT can no longer access the Scarlette 8i6. So I'm wondering how your experience with that has been?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Its been hit or miss for me. If I'm using the two units together then I need to switch before launching pro tools. Focusrite has on going beta drivers for the MC in which their trying to weed out issues like that. USB 3.0 also seems to be a hot issue for them. It's only annoying to me when the sample rate or "lost connection" issues aren't consistent.

Windows 8.1 Pro
Pro Tools 10.3.8
Focusrite 18i8, 18i20
Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Its been hit or miss for me. If I'm using the two units together then I need to switch before launching pro tools. Focusrite has on going beta drivers for the MC in which their trying to weed out issues like that. USB 3.0 also seems to be a hot issue for them. It's only annoying to me when the sample rate or "lost connection" issues aren't consistent.

Thanks for the info. I've gone back and forth with their tech assistance trying to get this sorted. The bottom line is they are saying that the issue lies with Pro Tools, and not their MC software or the focusrite driver. Apparently this issue doesn't crop up with other DAWs that use the same Focusrite set-up, though I haven't verified that independently.

So, the options are to either, return the 8i6 and go for a different brand altogether or live with it until such time as Focusrite and/or Avid can solve it. I'm reluctant to abandon the 8i6 because it sounds so good, so as long as I remember to jump through these extra hoops, I should be okay for now. Its a PITA, but perhaps a better tradeoff for now. Still..be nice if they could fix it!

I also am told that it is not an issue with Mac systems.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM

Avid really has its hands full of device issues on Windows. Search the DUC for threads about any of the Roland interfaces. Yikes! In general, I find the issues to be manageable. I like the Scarlett interfaces and am confident that I'll be dead before Avid figures out how to make Pro Tools stable with Windows drivers.

Windows 8.1 Pro
Pro Tools 10.3.8
Focusrite 18i8, 18i20
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Avid really has its hands full of device issues on Windows. Search the DUC for threads about any of the Roland interfaces. Yikes! In general, I find the issues to be manageable. I like the Scarlett interfaces and am confident that I'll be dead before Avid figures out how to make Pro Tools stable with Windows drivers.
That may be the post of the year!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 PM

GEEz, Im going insane over here. Everytime I open a session now. It doesn't matter how i start, I might be able to record, or play for 20 seconds, i might get 3 minutes. Error, Pro Tools can't find, scarlet.. Please restart pro tools. I have updated my driver, I have tried to disable midi in the activity. Nothing.. It wasn't even near this bad just a week ago, i have all the newest stuff. Which should show on my signature. Please help!!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:04 PM

I don't see my equipment listed. So its a Focusrite 18i20, A brand new Mac running OS x 10.9, 2.6 ghz intel core i7, 16gb 1600 mhz DDR3, running pro tools 11 LE.

Ps yesterday, it would say it couldn't see my Ilok, and kept asking me to plug it in, when it was, and was on. After i turned everything off for a couple minutes, and back on, it stopped that crap, and then started this. I have tried everything, turning things on in a different order, anything!!!