Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 12-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Replacing Mbox2 for High Sierra OS Suggestions

Hello -

As the Mbox 2 USB will no longer work with new 10.13.6, I am looking for a new interface.
I have the MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018
10.13.6 High Sierra
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I have been really happy with the Mbox 2 and I'm looking for something similar (2 inputs, MIDI, phantom power, etc...) or even a step up.

I have seen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recommended. Are there any others I should look at? possibly with Thunderbolt 3?

Thank you for any suggestions -

Rich
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Replacing Mbox2 for High Sierra OS Suggestions

Looks like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen has no MIDI so that is out of the running. The 2i4 would be the closest?

Rich
Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 PM

Is that an Mbox 2 or Mbox 2 Pro? Sure it's an older interface and you can do better today but I still want to make sure it really does not work. e.g. here is a report of the Mbox 2 Pro working on High Sierra: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395943

Edit: Doh I now see you said Mbox 2 USB. So I suspect you are out of luck there, but make sure you are not just blocked in the driver install security permissions.

What is your budget for a new interface?

Any idea what you mean by step up? Are you looking for more inputs, features like ADAT? Better preamps? Better monitoring capabilities? etc.

Examples of interfaces I'd look at that I view as significant step ups from the 2i2 are the UAD Apollo Twin (esp. if you want their console features) or Apogee Digital Quartet or some of the Motu products. Look at these to give yourself an idea of capabilities in fancier interfaces. One thing those brands deliver is pretty good support/software upgrades.

It's easy to focus on one item and decide to spend money on that, but the whole picture is important. Spending money on better monitors or room treatment or microphones may give you a better improvement.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MboxToo View Post
Looks like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen has no MIDI so that is out of the running. The 2i4 would be the closest?

Rich
MIDI is really not what you should focus on, especially at the higher end there are more important things to worry about. You can get separate stand alone MIDI interfaces if that's needed. It really makes no difference to have them integrated in the box... but if you really want that then it's easy to look for.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:05 PM

Thank you Darryl - I probably could have specified better. Budget is around $500.00. Thanks to your reply, I am looking at the MOTU UltraLite-mk4. I liked the MIDI built into the Mbox because I am not very, how should I say - savvy on audio and recording. I'm using PT12 to demo some ideas with guitars and vocals, BFD3 and a MIDI keyboard for drums and effects and it was easier having everything plugged into one box.

Thanks again!

Rich
Old 12-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Ok - sorry to be such a neophyte but let's say I elastify the budget, get the UA Apollo Twin MKII Duo (and sleep in the garage for a few weeks) - what would I need (your recommendation) to get the MIDI from my Roland V-Drums and Yamaha keyboard to my Mac? Is it something as "simple" as a device like a Roland UM-ONE mk2?

Thanks again for your help -

Rich
Old 12-30-2018, 09:11 AM

Get a simple plug n play midi usb interface and do a midi thru from one of the outboard gear, either the V Drum module or the keyboard.

The Apollo Twin duo is FANTASTIC and we use two of them to control our bigger Apollo X8P units and for preamp quality and converters it will be like night and day from any MBox or Digi products. You will LOVE it!

Anf you are on Mac so Thunderbolt2 will be very stable and fast! Apollo stuff works superb with Macs and I would look at a second hand Twin DUO MK2 for around $500 ss thats where they sit price-wise here.

And a cheap USB midi interface is like ~$20 so no huge investment there. Great idea to put the money on a used Twin Duo. Dont get the Solo as the DSP poser wont let you run much plugins from UAD-2 selections.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Hi Rich,
I am just reading this a second time and it's March 23rd 2019. I hope you were able to find a solution, but I found one and I'm happy with it. Avid did have an updated driver for my Mbox Mini, but it took a while to find it. It came out in 2018 I believe. I am using OS High Sierra.

My problem was that I hadn't used my mini in years. I thought it was an Mbox 3rd gen. When I looked at it closer I realized it was a mini so I searched for drivers on the avid website. At first I thought it was no longer supported so I downloaded similar model drivers and kept getting "not connected". Once I found and installed the correct ones I was good to go.....I must add that I find the avid website a bit confusing though and that's why I spent till 3am last night figuring this out.

Perhaps this info might help you or you may have already bought a new interface or that driver isn't available for your model. In any case I hope you figured it out by now. This was my link. Maybe yours is close by? http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...x-Mini-Drivers

Good luck!
Frank
Old 09-27-2020, 09:01 AM

I found this: https://www.usb-audio.com/download/
I'd rather pay $50 to keep functional gear running than to spend $100 to buy something new...
Pro Tools 12.6 - Apple Macbook Pro 2015 - Mac OS 10.11 - RME Fireface 802
Old 09-29-2020, 07:57 PM

With 2 midi devices, I would use a 2x2 Midi>USB box and have had solid performance with a Motu Fastlane USB 2x2. Using midi thru and daisy-chaining the Roland and the keyboard may work fine, but sometimes, that style of connection can have a bit more delay. In any case, set the Roland brain to Midi Channel 10, and deselect channel 10 on the keyboard's configuration(in the Midi Studio setup window)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave