Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-30-2004, 07:02 PM

Default ilok zero downtime? Where did the site go?

Anyone know when the ilok site is coming back? I had the unfortunate luck of an ilok dying today. Had lots of my plugs on it. I need to start the grueling process of getting it taken care of and really wanted to do it asap.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: ilok zero downtime? Where did the site go?

The site seems to be up:
www.ilok.com

I didn't see it go down.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: ilok zero downtime? Where did the site go?

Well, that turned out to be very simple. Lucky for me I have a bunch of iloks and the broken one is only shorting out sometimes. I was able to move all of the auths from the bad ilok to one of the good iloks. I must say that the ilok is absolutely poorly built. The one that failed was only a year old. That is the first time in 14 years that I have had any kind of copy protection fail. One of the big problems is that the usb connection is not soldered very well to the pcb in the unit. Give it a little wiggle and you can see where the stress point is. I predict that as the ilok reaches a saturation point and more of them start to fail we may see legal action because of the licensing disparity. It may only seems like a small piece of plastic for 30 bucks. But mine are worth easily over $6,000.00. Not to mention the money I lose if my studio goes down because of it. The fact that I can't leave multiple iloks plugged in is the main reason it failed. It also caused a usb port on one of our keyboards to fail because of the constant plugging in and out. This must be addressed soon.