Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-22-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Sold everything, now I want to start from scratch.

Have 3 guitars (Taylor acoustic electric, Epiphone 12 string, Strat), and that's it. Wanting to do some New Age, Smooth Jazz, Soundtrack type stuff

Here's what I'm thinking.
Newegg machine (XP, other recommendations from here)
Digi 002 (or used Digi 001 if I can "ebay" one)
Event monitors (active)
Roland GR-33 (for synth sounds and "stuff" since I can't play keyboards)
M-Audio midi interface
M-Audio 24/96 audio card (for soft synths)
POD Guitar preamp

I need some recommendations for:
Drums (machine? loops? samples?) What's easiest for a guitar player?
Outboard effects (if recommended)
If not, what plug in's would do the same things?

All information is appreciated!

Zane Schroeder
Old 12-22-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Sold everything, now I want to start from scratch.

You won't need the M-Audio sound card if you get a 002 (not sure if what the latest version of PTLE supports the 001).
I recently sold my MPC 2000, GR-33, Godin Multiac and some other stuff and got Reason (wich is my main sound module), MPD-16 drum pads (just like the MPC), a UC-33 to control Reason, and I use my PK6 to play notes. I got rid of the GR-33, eventhough it had some tight sounds, because I found it waaaay easier just to use the keyboard and I'm primarily a guitar man. The set up works for me. Lot's of free soundfonts and refills around for Reason. This is next on my list:
http://www.spectrasonics.net/instrum...mosphere.html. It's
Old 12-22-2003, 12:27 PM

OK, my ignorance of the newer product (sold my Pro-Tools setup in July). Wish like hell I wouldn't have gotten rid of everything, but the missus said either the studio went, or the motorcycle stayed at the dealer. LOL

Now to convince her otherwise!

zane
Old 12-22-2003, 01:17 PM

That must have been one hell of a bike! I would have left my misses at the dealer with the bike! U know how much recording junk I would have bought with that much money???
Old 12-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Why not skip the synth's, the pod and the m-audio stuff, and grab yourself an mbox. That way you will have protools, reason, amplitube T-racks and sampletank and ableton (all light/limited versions, all included with PTLE...but still). Then later on you can expand to the bigger versions if you need to.

Bastiaan
Old 12-22-2003, 03:06 PM

Well the bike was about 7k, the studio stuff I sold 3k or so:
ProTools PC, AM III card with PTLE 5.3 (I think), Boss DR-5, (2) Behringer mixers (monitor and mains), Telecaster and Blues Jr amp, Takamine acoustic electric, Ibanez acoustic guitar preamp, J-Station guitar preamp, Shure SM-57 and 58's, Compaq notebook computer (soft synth machine)

My problem was I was transfixed with the gadget thing...........wanting the latest, greatest and now I've decided all I want to do is record.

I thought about the MBox, and it sounds like a great deal, because I would like to "get back into it" without another room full of equipment for her to be suspicious of! LOL

How does it compare sound wise?

Thanks,

Zane Schroeder
Old 12-22-2003, 04:39 PM

I honestly dont know other then that the mboxes pre's are better as the ones in the digi001, and the same goes for the converters. I think its handy to have the pre's in the mbox, as it completely eliminates the need for additional mixers of some sort. Just a nice fast pc with an Mbox, and then have all your stuff in the box. With ptle 6.1 you have rewire, wich will integrate tightly with reason and ableton live. Get the wrapper, and you can use hundreds if not thousends VST and VSTi plugins.

As i pointed out before, when you buy new now, you get a truckload of free programs with it, and again i think that could just be what you need. OK...later on you want the full versions, but you can get those one at a time.

Or....find a used AMIII on the internet and get something like the Mindprint DI-port, or the flying cow stuff, or.....some box that will give you better ad/da and a decent micpre on the AMIII.

Bastiaan
Old 12-23-2003, 07:37 AM

For the type of music you want to write I would suggest:

1. The best Digi interface (Mbox thru 002) you can afford as you will probably use Mic Pre's eventually down the road.
2. FXpansion BFD, FXpansion DR-008 (ESSENTIAL for what you want to do!)
3. Spectrasonics Trilogy (again - ESSENTIAL! You will need RTAS/VST wrapper, but it works 100% with all Spectrasonics software)
4. Don't know what to tell ya about a sampler.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:21 AM

OK, it looks like the SpectraVision stuff is incredible........I'll probably end up there. Can someone tell me (I could get the "specs" but it won't give me "real" feedback) why I should get the 002, vz the Mbox, or vice versa? I'm thinking since basically, I'll record at most 2 tracks at a time (drums and scratch guitar for example), the MBox sounds pretty close (plus at 500 bucks or whatever it's a steal), and I won't have a lot of "stuff" to have to plug in, place, plan for, or deal with.

BFD and the DR008 look great......but how much?

I know...........I'm too damn picky.

THANKS MUCHO!

zane
Old 12-23-2003, 09:25 AM

with your mbox/002 dilemma i think you are right. If you only need 2 channels, definatly get the mbox.
Mbox into digi002 makes no senso IMHO.
The mic-pre of the mbox is one of the clean type i've heard.

Opinions on the spectrasonic stuff differ. Check the ongoing threads right here on the DUC.

BFD = $329
DR-008 = $199

You dont NEED that stuff, as you can do a lot of the same with the full verison of Reason, wich i advise to get.

see the website at www.fxpansion.com

Bastiaan