Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-27-2003, 12:03 PM

Default I\'ve lost the hard drive with all my PT sessions and audio files - HELP!

I ran scan disk on my "D" drive (which is my audio and session drive for PTLE) and went to work knowing that it takes a while having done it before. When I got home my pc was showing that scan disk had finished and found no errors, the only problem was that my pc was frozen. The only thing I could do was a hard restart (push the power button on the case). Ctrl + alt + delete wasn't doing anything. So I pushed the button. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Now when I try to access my "D" drive I can't. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I get that the drive or network connection is unavailable. If i try to run defrag on it, it tells me that windows cannot defrag this drive make sure the drive is formatted and free from errors. When I try to run scan disk, it cannot because the disk is not properly formatted or a program such as a disk utility has locked it.

Somebody please tell me that I don't have to reformat the drive.

Let this be a lesson to all those who don't do backups on a regular basis (or at all [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ).

help . . .

please . . .

moraj002@hawaii.rr.com
Old 02-27-2003, 03:47 PM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the hard drive with all my PT sessions and audio files - HELP!

Can you try your drive on a different computer ?
When you boot the computer, does the boot detect your drive ?
Have you checked the obvious (connectors, master/slave jumpers, flat cable, power to the drive) ?
Maybe something has gone wrong with your IDE bus, but I have no experience in that.

Hope this helps. I'm sure the experts will chime in !
As you said yourself : BACKUP, BACKUP and BACKUP !
Old 02-27-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the hard drive with all my PT sessions and audio files - HELP!

Don't panic yet,
Is the drive correctly recognized by the BIOS when booting?
What O.S. are you running?
Was it formateed FAT32 of NTFS?
Did the power fluctuate while you were gone?
Had the drive been acting strangely before now?
As long as there is now damage to the drive you should be able to recover the data.
Just curious why you ran a Scandisk on your Audio drive?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:54 PM

A wise man once said to me:

"In the digital realm if it is not backed up in TWO places then it it is not backed up at all"

Sorry to hear of your loss Jay.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:59 PM

Try Partition Magic 8 by Powerquest. It has an option to fix drives and undelete files.
Jayman #9
Old 02-27-2003, 06:23 PM

Actually your best bet is to use things that are specifically designed for recovery.
I recently had a hard drive fail on me, I took a short break and was planning to do a few more edits then backup 3 new songs. I come back about 20 minutes later and one of my audio drives is being reported in terabytes not gigabytes.
The BIOS would read it correctly but once the O.S. kicked in it was confused.
Any attempts to run scans would make changes and repairs that made no difference to the problem.
I went on-line and downloaded the demo of "GetItBack" which after running for an hour showed me what it could recover and repair if I purchased it.
Made the purchase added the serial number and didn't lose anything.
I was able to finish up and give the customer what they needed.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:27 AM

I am running win98se (still). I do not know if the power fluctuated, it is a possibility. The drive had been working fine. I ran the scan disk because a while back my system froze non PTLE related. When I restarted it went into scandisk and scanned my system drive then I stopped it. Since then because I didn't do the scan on the audio drive it would go into dos scandisk on reboot which i would cancel. I got tired of it and ran it when I went to work.

When I right click on it in win explorer and do properties it just shows that there is no used space and no free space. It is formatted FAT. Not FAT32 according to the properties but I could swear I formatted it FAT32 [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] .

I'll also see if I can get Partition Magic 8.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:15 AM

I will say it again you need recovery not just repair.
The problem with things like scandisk is it makes changes based on the improper info, if the volume, allocation table,etc is being incorrectly read it doesn't know the difference.
Right now you are probably at the state where the audio is intact but the you try to do with repair only programs the more likely you are to corrupt the aspects of the PT sessions or audio.
Think of it like incorrectly adjusting the record head on your tape deck and then recording something.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:11 AM

No luck with Patition Magic, I'll try GetItBack.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:57 PM

Follow SKI's advise, seek recovery, not repair. Don't do anything to the drive. Any changes via repair utilities most likely will render all the data unrecoverable.

Hope this is helpful.