Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-22-2002, 02:21 AM

Default Help! 5.1 crashing my system on start-up

I've recently "upgraded" to 5.1, and it's been nothing but problems.

I run a Mac with 9.01, G4 400 with 256K.
I've been running 5.01 flawlessly for about 8 months.

So, I installed 5.1, and it works fine for a few hours or so... then freezes my system, usually when I'm quitting the program or shutting down a session.

Then, I restart (usually a force, as it freezes my system)

.. my computer then freezes on start-up, giving me the following error message:

"Sorry, you have encountered a Digi-Init system error. To start up without extensions.. hold down shift.. yadda yadda. "

So, I do so.... and try again. Freezes on the Digi Init extension on start-up again.

So, I turn off the Digi Init in the extensions manager, and the machine starts up with no probs.

So, looks like I have to re-install the software yet again. This is getting old in a hurry, and god knows what other problems this is creating for my otherwise perfectly running system.

Anyone out there come across this, or have any ideas at all? Greatly appreciated if so.. thanks!

Popps
Old 06-22-2002, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Help! 5.1 crashing my system on start-up

Did you trash prefs? Reinstalling the software will not remove old preferences.

-DAE; whole pref folder
-PTLE pref
-Digi set up

dk
Old 06-22-2002, 07:01 PM

Thanks. That seemed to help, though... we'll see if it does it again. Wish I knew what the root of the problem was so I could avoid it.
At least this is a temporary fix. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2002, 08:22 PM

Problem is back. Another crash, only this time... I deleted all preferences.. and it won't work. Looks like I have to re-install again.
[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Any other ideas.. anyone?
Old 06-23-2002, 09:33 PM

Okay, joke's over.

Stop kidding around.

We all know that "Macs don't crash." That is a FACT. Otherwise Apple would be violating the "truth in advertizing" laws. I heard it on a TV ad myself. "Macs don't crash."

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2019.12 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 06-23-2002, 09:43 PM

Pay no attention to the troll, he's obviously feeling threatened by the new mac ads.

Did you check the OS requirements for 5.1? I believe you need at least OS 9.04 to run version 5.1 or higher.
digi compato docs

I would start there, then if that doesn't solve it, at least you'll know you've followed all the requirements.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:34 PM

He's obviously got nothing else to do with his life.... and no coincidence, no info on the topic at hand. Big surprise there,huh?

------

Thanks for the idea. I already have 9.04, and I've updated to the proper version of Quicktime. No help. Every start-up:
DIGI INIT ERROR TYPE 11 .... and freeze.

I have to re-start with extensions off, and it works fine when I turn off the Digi Init extension. It's obviously not compatible with something, but I can't figure out what.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:56 PM

From the Digi answerbase:

Quote:
A Type 11 error is listed as a hardware exception error. However, As with all Macintosh Type xx errors, they usually do not identify a particular software or hardware component error. Type xx errors are more general in nature. You may see more Type 11 errors on a Power Macintosh computer because of problems with the software-based 68k emulator. The emulator allows the RISC processor to run older Macintosh software. If the emulator gets corrupted while loading into RAM, then some of the failures caused by this are reported as Type 11 or Hardware Exception errors. The emulator can get corrupted by either incompatible software or faulty hardware.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not that it really helps with anything.

Are you using a digi001? If so, maybe try re-seating the PCI card or move it to a different slot. Also disconnect then reconnect the digi cable to the computer and the breakout box.

You have mentioned re-installing... what have you reinstalled? Have you trashed all digidesign and DAE folders/extensions/prefs and started over? Do you have any other hardware (PCI cards, USB or Firewire devices) attached? If so, disconnect them so you can disregard them as potential problem causers.

Post back with more system specs, maybe that will spark some ideas.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:04 AM

I would venture to say that maybe during the install, the file became corrupt?

I would just trash my digi and fresh install all the way back to 5.1
Old 06-24-2002, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the ideas, all.... still trouble-shooting...

My system specs:

G4 400, Mac 9.04, 256 Ram

Digi 001 system

---

The thing is, 5.01 ran perfect on this machine for almost a year. I hesitated in "upgrading" .... and now I know why. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Basically, every time I re-start, it crashes on start-up right at the Digi-Init plug-in.
I have to restart with extensions off, then trash ALL preferences... then shut down (not re-start).... and then it will allow me to use it again.

But this is obviously taxing on my computer, and something is wrong.

I've completely removed all pro-tools related extensions, control panels and preferences... then re-installed, and no help. (same cycle of problems)

I have 9.04. I upgraded to the recommended Quicktime version.

I have a Maxtor Firewire drive. Pro Tools won't run with the extension on, so I disable it before attempting to use Pro Tools.
It wasn't as conflicting with 5.01, but I did have problems from time to time.. but I could always solve them by just turning the maxtor extensions off.

Aside from that, a pretty normal computer set-up. Had NO problems before this, and none aside from this. I'm 99% sure it's a conflict, but can't figure out what.