How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Doing ram and drive upgrades is relatively easy IF you have the proper tools & workspace. Of particular need is an anti-static grounding wrist strap to keep from zapping delicate electronics. What I have and use is a AC mains small outlet tester that plugs right into a wall outlet and has a port to plug in a ground strap. The neat thing with the tester is it has three indicators that will show you at a glance the health of your outlet. Stuff like is it wired correctly, etc. Won't tell you voltage but you don't need that. For larger projects I have an anti-static mat that also plugs into the outlet tester but you don't need that.

I don't know if Apple changed how one accesses ram in a laptop but back when I used a Powerbook G4 there was a cover on the bottom that came off and then a shield over the ram that had to be removed. Here's where having the proper tools comes in (amongst other uses). That shield used a weird small screw that apparently only Apple uses and I tried to fudge it using a regular small jeweler's screwdriver that I use to work on my model trains. Let's just say I mangled the screw heads and couldn't get two of the six or so screws that held down the shield. To get it off I ended up cutting the shield away right at the motherboard. Don't be that guy.

Depending on what you need to change out OWC has videos on their site for myriad things. Highly recommended to watch those multiple times. Almost forgot - OWC also has toolkits if you need them. Apple likes to use TORX head screws and a lot of people don't have them in their toolboxes. Don't get away thinking you can use a Philips head screwdriver instead.

Or a Sonic Screwdriver
I'll watch their Videos & see if it's something I can do.. Thanks..
Old 12-07-2018, 01:22 PM

I found this on Apples website... does it mean I can't expand to 16 or 32 GB? 8 GB is Max with both slots filled with 2, 4 GB's??

If 16 GB is minimum recommended for PT 2018 it wouldn't do any good to upgrade this Computer would it??

Thanks,

Lars

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
Number of memory slots 2
Base memory 4 GB
Maximum memory 8 GB
Memory card specifications - Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
- 30mm (1.18 inch)
- 2 GB or 4 GB
- 204-pin
- PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz type RAM
Additional notes For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
I found this on Apples website... does it mean I can't expand to 16 or 32 GB? 8 GB is Max with both slots filled with 2, 4 GB's??

If 16 GB is minimum recommended for PT 2018 it wouldn't do any good to upgrade this Computer would it??

Thanks,

Lars

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
Number of memory slots 2
Base memory 4 GB
Maximum memory 8 GB
Memory card specifications - Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR3) format
- 30mm (1.18 inch)
- 2 GB or 4 GB
- 204-pin
- PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz type RAM
Additional notes For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.
Oh jesus what now. This thread is at 4 pages long... Please stop trying to go back and check what folks are advising you to do, and just do something. What Apple says you can do and what can be done are not always the same.

I already asked for your Mac details, once I had them I let you know you can upgrade it to 16GB. I already suggested you do that to run Pro Tools 2018, and I already pointed you at OWC as a great third party supplier. I did not suggest you look at Apple's web site for any of this.

Look here: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memo..._1600MHz_SDRAM

Any other questions about RAM upgrades get on the phone to an OWC sales rep, tell them the EMC# of your MBP and ask them questions.

I would buy a Samsung 860 Evo SSD from somebody else not an OWC SSD (as I've said before).

Follow the video install instructions starting on the line above, don't look for any other instructions/advice. Just do exactly what is shown there. There is nothing hard in replacing the DIMMs in your model.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-07-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM

Darryl - why does it say ”maximum ram 8 gb” for his Model MBP or is the info he listed ot the MBP he has? This thread is getting way too non focused.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Darryl - why does it say ”maximum ram 8 gb” for his Model MBP or is the info he listed ot the MBP he has? This thread is getting way too non focused.
And you are not helping

To be clear *Apple* lists memory specs for what they sell or sold in the past as standard or BTO (build to order) model options. They won't list memory options they never offered themselves. *Apple* is not ever the place to look to see all actual memory upgrade options for older Macs.

They best places would be OWC (as I had said) or the very useful but more detailed EveryMac (https://everymac.com). And not being stupid, it's EveryMac I normally use, and did previously use in this case to check the upgrade options.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Darryl - why does it say ”maximum ram 8 gb” for his Model MBP or is the info he listed not the MBP he has? This thread is getting way too non focused.
The reason this thread has grown like Topsy and become unfocused is not Darryl's fault but that of larsongs. He starts with one premise, gets another, and another ad infinitum.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Everyone hates Lars. Its proven.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:26 PM

No everybody does not hate Lars... and Christopher was not criticizing me. He was asking a genuine question.

Its just a typical bad DUC thread that starts with an impossible to answer questions "what is best for..." that has no real meaning "what's best for *me*...".. we likely have no clue, and so no possible clear answer. And after exhausting all that we end up back and a simple upgrade, but are going around in circles again there over usual stuff, and starting to suspect that Lars has likely not done an upgrade or even new macOS install in the past. So it's all a blur... but Lars it's time to follow advice carefully. If you want to upgrade your MBP then just follow what I'm saying here/pointing at.

---

And I'll make this thread even worse as well because I worry I need to say it...

Always make a backup of you systems. Ideally a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner before doing any work in it. If you are not making backups that way today that is your first thing to so. Time Machine is really not enough. Check the clone you made to to an external HDD actually works and is bootable.... hold down <OPTION> while rebooting the Mac and select that external drive to boot from. If it works shutdown and put the drive somewhere safe. Ideally make more than one backup.

Upgrade the DIMMs and change *nothing* else, no OS, software or SSD changes. Put the computer back together and check it works reliably for a while. Change only one thing at a time, especially until you are experienced at working on a computer like this.

Then upgrade the SSD later as part of a new clean OS install. You can do that install within an external USB enclosure to start with (and therefore still changing one thing at a time) and later swap that with the internal drive.

If you want to do that install in future in an external caddy order this at the same time as you order the DIMMs from OWC

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ES2.5BU3S/

Yes, it's the right model for your Mac including being USB 3 and comes with the cable you need. No, don't buy the actual SSD from OWC. Get the Samsung I've mentioned multiple times already.

When you have done the RAM upgrade and have made great backups and have the caddy and SSD drive then check back here for advice on doing a full clean MacOS install. Be careful looking at random advice online, there are multiple ways of doing a clean install, many of those instructions will be are describing things you should not do.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM

I was Not critizing Darryl. He has been straight with the answers and why I asked regarding the max ram memory I never seen that and certainly didn’t know Lars could go more than 8GB but thanks to Darryl I now know for future reference

And sorry if I have contributed to any off the rail post here in the thread.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2018, 05:10 PM

Chris,

you can check max ram etc. from www.everymac.com