Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Any upgrade savings from PT6?

We have an old PT TDM system, still on version 6.x. Looking at upgrade options to PT10 and it seems there are no savings to be had unless you are moving from PT9, is that right? I am not at the office right now, but remotely controlling the system and PT shows an 888/24 I/O system, and I recall having at least one farm card.

We are probably looking at a software only upgrade and leveraging some existing firewire core audio IO units. Would be nice to have Avid throw us a wee bone for all the money we put into that back in the day. :)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Any upgrade savings from PT6?

I don't know what it is to go directly from HD6, as prices are only listed back to HD 7. It may be the same price as coming from HD 7, which is $2499. You may want to check with your dealer.

Currently, there are no trade-ups to HDX from Mix systems, but there is one for HD Native, and separately there is one from your old interfaces to the new HD ones.

You can trade in your Mix Core card and get the HD Native card and HD 10 software for $1595 (it will be a free upgrade to HD 10, regardless of what's in the box).

Separately, you can trade in your 888 interface and get $1000 off any of the new HD interfaces.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks, we were really looking to just upgrade to the non-HD ProTools software only and use an existing firewire IO board. I guess at that point we just swallow the $599 list or whatever it is, but I thought that if MP/LE users got a discount why wouldn't we? :)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM

There are several post's in the Buy and Sell section for used PT9 HD assets. You could use one of those as a stepping stone to PTHD 10. The Air Users Blog may offer some other options.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9YTY View Post
Thanks, we were really looking to just upgrade to the non-HD ProTools software only and use an existing firewire IO board. I guess at that point we just swallow the $599 list or whatever it is, but I thought that if MP/LE users got a discount why wouldn't we? :)
If you are just going for regular PT10, take a look at this. You could always sell the hardware.
http://www.uniquesquared.com/avid-pr...-software.html

In fact, I'll be happy to give you $300. for it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM

The guy in this post apparently just recently registered an old PT24 system and traded it in for something:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310707

However my guess is that you can't trade a TDM system towards anything less than an HD accel or HDX system, so if you're only interested in software I would stick the mix system on ebay and use the money from that towards your upgrade. Avid does want to get these old systems out of the used market though, so it's still probably worth asking.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?