Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Default Help !! Accidently Lost Files On External Hard Drive

I have a G5 2.5 (Tiger OS10.4.9) with Protools LE 7.4 and 2- Glyph GTO50-250 firewire external Hard drives. One hard drive is for recording and the other is the back-up drive. During a back-up, I accidently back-up my main audio drive with my back-up drive folders, instead of the other way around.

Is there any way to revert a external hard drive back to its state before replacing a folder on the hard drive?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Help !! Reverting External Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by session48 View Post
Is there any way to revert a external hard drive back to its original state before replacing a folder on the hard drive?
Are you asking whether it is possible to erase the hard drive ?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply!

No, I don't want to erase the hard drive.

What I did was accidently replace new session folders on my main recording hard drive with older back-up session folders from my back-up hard drive during the back-up process. So I lost current sessions and
only have older back-up sessions.

Is there a way to reverse the process to retrieve the new session folders lost ?

Thank you
Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 AM

In that case, I'd recommend trying this software;

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/d...9b0fb1e5c79c45

Also for more information and the experience of another user who accidentally deleted wanted files, have a quick look at this thread from the DUC;

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=245617
Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 AM

Thanks again allstaar! I really appreciate the help!

I'm FREAKING OUT here and haven't been to sleep yet.If I don't get the sessions back, I'm recording for free for a very long time. Anyway ,after I screwed up ,I've left everything on,the computer,both hard drives, everything .

I'm afraid to do anything .This software works on the External Firewire Hard drives?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 05:19 AM

Yes, Datarescue will work on external drives. I've successfully recovered files from Firewire drives in the past with it myself.

The best thing you can do is avoid writing any more data to the drives until you can run Datarescue or some similar file recovery software.

When you trash something it doesn't write over the data and destroy it, but merely marks that area of the disk as free and available to be written to, so the less writing of new data you do to the drive the greater your chances of recovery.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Help !! Accidently Lost Files On External Hard Drive

Hi allstaar,

Thanks so much for the help! I called Glyph Technologies and decided to send the hard drive to them. I was afraid to screw up the hard drive more then I did. They told me I probably can't get back the session folders but they would most likely be able the retrieve the audio files. They said retrieving the session files is a Pro Tools issue they're trying to work out.

Thanks again