Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Quick Free Drum Replacer Technique - Check It Out!

Ok here is a quick/free way to sample drum's that I made up.
It only takes about 10 mins per track (depending on the length of the song and how much that drum
is played)

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE STEPS 100% OR IT MIGHT NOT WORK OUT CORRECTLY.

1. Open your session
2. Turn on "Tab to Transient" mode and "Command Focus" mode
3. File - Import Audio to Track - Select your sample (this will put ur sample on a new track and
put it at the end of all of the tracks)
4. Move the Track with the sample on it to right before the track you want to Sample (so that in
the edit view the sample is on top)
5. Using the Grabber Tool select the sample and press "c" to copy the file (remeber that you are
in command focus mode so you don't need to press "crtl + c"
6. Create a Group out of the track with the sample on it and the track you are going to sample (i
like using "Edit" only groups but you can use whichever u like.
7. Using the Selector Tool select a little bit before the drums on either the sample track or the
origonal track
8. Press "Tab" so that you will tab to the first transient
9. Press "V" to paste the sample (remember that u dont have to hit "ctrl + v because you are in
command focus mode)
10. Then just work your way down the track by repeating steps 8 and 9, and it is as easy as that.

A few things to remember:
If the sample is longer than the distance between hits, you will only need to press tab once to
get to the new sample.

If the sample is shorter than the distance between the hits, you will have to press tab twice
because the first tab will go to the end of the region of the sample and then the second tab will
go to the next transient.

Sometimes the hit's won't be hard enough for tab to transient to pick it up so you will have to
use the selector tool and select right at the transient of the hit and then press "v" (it might
be a little tricky at first to get it perfect but after a little bit it's really easy. You Can also use the audio suite plugin "Normalize" and process the certain sections. but after you are done you should delete the processed region and with the timmer tool drag the origonal track back over.

Sometimes the end of the sample will end just before where the next transient is on the origonal
track, and when you press tab again it will just skip the transient because it was too close to
the end of the region (sometimes this happens with hit's being too close to each other also) so
you will have to put those hits in manually, not a biggie.

Snare rolls will probably sound fake because there arn't any dynamics doing it this way, each hit
is all the same. (i have not solved this yet) i have tried going back after sampling and, using
the trim tool and going into the volume edit and changing the volume of the samples on rolls
(also i was looking at the origonal track when doing this to try to match up the differnt levels)
but this did not coming out sounding any better. So what I am going to try next is load a couple
snare samples in and if by using Memory Locations and doing it as selections i can have the
differnt samples set up and i can just select the memory locator for the sample i want to use
press "c" to copy it, then paste it in were the roll is to help change up the samples to make it
more realistic, but i have not had a chance to do this yet.

If I find a way to get the snare rolls to sound good I will post back with a solution.

I feel confident in sayint that this is a lot more accurate then using Digi's own Sound Replacer,
because you don't get the samples being off and you don't get those glitched samples that make a
messed up sound. The only problem is that there are no dynamics with it, but you can always mix
samples or draw in volume automation.

And if you want to use multiple samples to blend together load both samples into ur session, make
sure that both samples are aligned perfectly, select both samples and copy then group them
together along with the origonal track, again making sure the sample tracks are on top of the
origonal, and just follow the rest of the toturial.

Reasons You Need to Follow the Directions Exactly:
1st. If you group the track then select your sample and copy it. then tab to transient and paste
ur first sample, ur sample will paste correctly but u'll notice that you will paste a blank space
on your origonal track also, so thats no good.

2nd. If you put the sample track below the origonal, but do the other steps right with copying
the sample then grouping the 2 tracks, when you paste the samples they will paste on the origonal
track because it is the top track, and nothing will paste on the sample track.

Leave me some feedback either here or you can email,

-matt
[email protected]
Old 12-05-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Quick Free Drum Replacer Technique - Check It Out!

i have used a similar method to do this. thanks for that info. it works wonders on kick drums.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Quick Free Drum Replacer Technique - Check It Out!

yeah, i like it a lot, i need to mess around with snare rolls a lot more though cuz they sound too fake