Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 DSP FX Broken?

Am I understanding this correctly? Avid releases an update meant to enhance the product but instead breaks its functionality. Then Avid is asking for money to put it back to the state it was in before THEY broke it?? That's akin to Microsoft releasing a Windows update that breaks some major functionality within Windows and then asking their customers to pay them to put it right, oh and you won't be able to use Windows for a week or so because you'll need to ship your computer to them... oh and of course, how could I forget, you'll have to pay for shipping as well!

This has got to be a joke. I'm no solicitor/lawyer but I'd hazard a pretty good guess this is breaking one or two consumer trading laws. I think a call to Trading Standards is in order.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: "Tuner" and internal "DSP" doesn't work on Mbox 3 Pro

I wanted to update this thread with information added to another thread for a similar issue:

The issue is in fact firmware-related as members in this thread have speculated. We’ve handled a small number of cases in which the firmware update fails in such a way as to disable the onboard effects and tuner, leaving all other functionality intact. The number of reported firmware update failures is extremely low among units sold but we are aware of and investigating the issue. At this time, the only way to resolve this failure is to send the unit in for repair. You do not need to purchase an Avid Support Code to contact Avid regarding a repair issue. In North America please call (650) 731-6100 and press option 3 for the repair line. In all other regions please contact your reseller for repair.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
From what he has written, the only cost to you if your unit is under warranty would be the shipping. If it's not, then you have the shipping and the cost of repair to deal with.
I can't imagine there being a repair cost on a known firmware issue. As I'm sure you're aware, firmware is released by the manufacturer so it's their fault if they screw it up.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
That is helpful to know. One thing that they told me with regard to mine was that some of us who had done MULTIPLE firmware upgrades somehow got a glitch that led to the problem. When I got it back from Avid for a preamp repair it was perfect!

Sent from my Pro Tools beating heart.
Jryser, when you received your unit, did you still use the same drivers? If Avid is flashing to old firmware, wouldn't the latest drivers try to update the firmware again? I ask because even though the firmware update broke the DSP of my unit, it fixed other problems that concern me more. Like the headphone dropout problem, and speaker switch and mute button problems.

For those needing reverb while tracking, while using LLM or direct monitoring, I recommend using what I call ShanVerb (cus i got it from shan):

Apart from your recording track, run your signal into an aux(set an aux to have the same input as your recording track). Set the output of that aux to buss into another aux with a dverb(full wet) on an insert. Set the output of the second aux to your monitor(analog 1-2 if using LLM). Use the second aux's fader to control how much reverb you want mixed into your signal.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM

I had to send to service my MboxPro. And from my I paid 40 euro shiping to Dublin. They paid for the back. EVOII now I uklucio works with the latest version of firmware. I have not recorded anything with a microphone but I think it's all ok now. As for Avid quickly solve the problem. The only thing I had to weeping shiping in my country duty 40 euro per cent ie it is with us still not solvable problem.
All in all that pertains to Avid quickly solve the problem.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Serio - sorry this took so long - just saw ur post. My MBox was shipped back completely updated and ready to roll.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM

I got a new unit that worked for a few days and now has the same problems.

NOT HAPPY!!!!

I need to get work done, so I don't really want to ship it again.

I'm seriously thinking about abandoning ship on Avid. I bought my first mix plus system in 1999.

Chris
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM

I've got my third unit now and so far so good. It appears to be a newer unit so maybe the first batch they made had issues?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Just want to chime in and say my DSP is not working either. I bought a new MBOX Pro three months ago. Tried to use the onboard reverb for the first time last week on a vocal OD session. No go.

Avid, please post a fix for this that does not require downtime+shipping cost. Why would it be difficult for us with the issue to upgrade our firmware from home? (Or DOWNGRADE rather, since it was the firmware upgrade that screwed it up).

Very annoyed.
OSX 10.8
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 AM

I can not believe it came again the same problem when update to 1.1.8 driver???
I'm already fat you to fix it and I had expenses and lost a lot of time waiting ... I really do not know what to do now ...? I can not again be submitted in service for your mistakes ... really a shame?!