Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 09:54 PM

Default I am new to the protools world, thinking of purchasing an 001 system

I am thinking of buying a new computer and getting
started with the recording of my own band.

I need at least 8 tracks simultaneous recording, at least 16 tracks total, good sound quality, ease of use, editing such as cutting off begins and outros, making a section longer or shorter.

Lastly a system that will provide me with excellant mixing capabilities.

I have some computer knowledge, so I think the protools 001 system seems to fit into what I am looking for.

Am I correct?
What all will I need to make high quality recordings?
What kind of computer and computer requirements do I need? I am thinking of getting a new dell.
And I plan on getting some good monitors, but what else do I need?

I am on a budget so I am trying to keep this simple, but get really good results.

I will be using really good microphones like akg, at, maybe some neumanns, studio projects.
I have 2 FMR RNC compressors, and I want to get a sytek preamp which has 4 channels.

do I need anything else?

What kind of plug ins does the digi 001 have?
Old 11-21-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: I am new to the protools world, thinking of purchasing an 001 system

click here to start

this computer by far is the way to go. not just for the money, but this thing is out performing every thing...I would start right there.

as far as all your other questions, I would just sit back and read all these different threads. all your questions have already and will continue to be answered...lets just first start with your computer, as you will have many questions. once you have your comp up and running, then address Pro Tools, then the rest of your needs.

dont rush, take your time a step at a time...i will say this though, you are in very good hands on this forum...these folks will help you get what you need and staying in a realistic budget.

good luck and welcome
Old 11-21-2002, 11:10 PM

Default Re: I am new to the protools world, thinking of purchasing an 001 system

I don't really understand all the technical aspects of computer parts.

Isn't there a computer that is available that will work with digi 001?
that is inexpensive and will do a great job?

thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 02:57 AM

PTLE comes with some plugins. They consist of eq. compression, gate, limiter, reverb, delay (and related effects as phaser, chorus etc...). You can get a free softsynth at www.sampletank.com that can be used as a plugin.

Protools uses its own plugin formats called audiosuite and RTAS (real-time audiosuite).

If you want to get more and better plugins, check out the waves plugins ( www.waves.com )

If you stick to a system that conforms to THIS you probably have no problems at all, and if you run into problems, Digidesign will try to help you getting your system working...

Bastiaan
Old 11-22-2002, 06:05 AM

I have been hearing that the converters on the protools are pretty bad. I have no knowledge of this aspect of recording so is this true? If yes, what do I do to remedy the bad conversion?
Is there something I buy, and when exactly does this bad conversion happen, meaning, when I send the signal for recording or when I dump the songs down on something like an dat machinge?
Old 11-22-2002, 10:47 AM

Believe me bro,

i would not even worry about the mic pre's and converters being "bad" because they certainly are NOT!

nowhere will you find so much hardware and software quality in such a stable unit for the price.

we all want to try and upgrade (thats the nature of us gear nuts)..but myself and most of the people here are still using the stock converters and they are just fine...dont put the cart before the horse, you've got alot of discovry ahead of you. get your sytem running, then if you grow out of things worry about it then (once you've gained more knowledge)

I've recorded some smokin tracks with the stock digi. I garantee you will also...there are people around here with pro/client studios using the 001 in its stock mode....dont get caught up in all those worries...at least just yet!

good luck
Old 11-22-2002, 05:35 PM

I would add that as this is your first system, it's really unlikely that you will have any problems with the quality of the converters. I have tried 96k audio cards that don't have the quality of the 001.

Even though there are now some very good products out there this is still the product to beat if you need to record and editing serious audio.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:06 AM

The ad/converters are fine, and so are the pre-amps, but if you want to get even better quality, you can connect an outboard ad-converter or mic-pre quite easily.

the digi001 has 8 analog inputs, 10 digital (8 through adat-litepipe, and 2 through spdif)

Bastiaan
Old 11-23-2002, 12:19 AM

thanks guys,
I think I am starting to piece
it all together