Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 AM

Default PT 11 loses communication with 11 Rack

Got an odd one happening and it's not consistent. I have a setup that doesn't get moved anywheres, nothing gets connected or disconnected, nothing gets updated unless necessary. PT11 randomnly loses communication with my 11 Rack. PT 11 session audio still plays through the 11R no problem, it's just that the little 11R window in the task bar at the top of the screen sometimes isn't there and I can't select to see it from the little arrow in the upper right where one can select to see the clip list and other things.

I would sometimes get this if I was doing something else on the computer like working in standalone mode with the newly updated Kontakt 5. I would quit K5 and start up PT11 by clicking the icon in my Dock and when the Quick Start window would come up and I'd select something there when PT went on to do the rest of it's thing in bringing up the edit screen I'd get an error message stating that communication was lost with the 11R. I could open up a session and everything would work okay except that little 11R window in the taskbar at the top of the edit window would not be there nor could I select it for view as mentioned above.

Yesterday I booted up my system to work on a session. Started PT 11, opened a session from the Quick Start menu and I noticed the little 11R window wasn't showing so I went to have it show and the entry wasn't there as described above and in the View pull down menu it wasn't there either. Yes I know we don't have access to the 11R editor screen but even so it should still be there and greyed out but it wasn't. And this time PT put up NO error message about losing communication with the 11R.

Some time back when I was having problems with losing the 11R window in PT 10.3.2 I could power cycle the 11R and all would be okay and I had to do nothing in PT. If I try that in PT11 it throws up an error message saying that PT cannot play audio because the selected audio device isn't available (or something like that - wasn't smart enough to write the whole message down) and I have to restart the 11R and PT.

Like I said - audio plays fine in these cases so that part of the communication is okay but the control functions that go back and forth from PT to the 11R seem to go away. PT10 has no problems like this at all so it's not like a cable suddenly went bad in a system that goes nowhere. And yes - this is not the original cable that came with the 11R which I had to replace because of intermittents in that cable.

QAPLA!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 AM

Default Re: PT 11 loses communication with 11 Rack

Update:
Found the problem solution (I hope as he knocks on wood). Came to me as I was trying to sleep last night that I had the same problem with PT 10 a while back. So I dug up the thread here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=331251
(look at post #9 for the ultimate solution) and voila - it's working. The NI Hardware Agent must have gotten re-installed with the recent massive NI aax 64 bit update round that just happened. So I just deleted it and things are back to normal here.

QAPLA!