Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Studio Monitors info...

Sup yall.
I need to get some studio monitors and I'm wondering what you guys watch before buying a couple of monitors...I mean are there something specific you gotta pay attention for??
Right now I'm uncertain on some models such as Samson Resolv 65a or KRK Rockit 5 or 6...have you got experienced'em?
Any suggestion?

Thanks.

H3d

myspace.com/korneliuskeyloid
Old 08-29-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Studio Monitors info...

depending on your budget for purchasing monitors, you will have better quality of course in the high end monitors compared to the lower end ones. Personally I have always prefered 8 inch monitors because it gives proper bass response until I heard a low end version of the Samson RJ5's/RJ6's which sounded great to me for $340. Next step up I would suggest the higher end KRK 8" systems which usually go anywhere between $600-$1200 depending on where and who you get them from. After that You're looking at Event 20/20's, Genelec 1030A's or 8030's (these would be my top pick over all for quality in my opinion and run anywhere from a couple grand to 4 grand depending on where and whom you get them from also.... from there I have really never gotten into the higher monitors so I could not tell you much unfortunately.

I would definately make sure you have an active set instead of passive, or you will need a good power amp to run a passive set of monitors also. Also, make sure to go to a store to listen to the monitors you're interested in before buying caus some of the low budget ones might look tempting, but sound like s*** honestly... You really don't want to compromise for a price tag on a set of monitors because they are going to represent how your sounds are going to translate to the world. Lower end monitors will lack bass response and make a lot of your mixes very bass heavy when you play them on other systems for the most part, and have very poor crossovers. When all else fails, go with your ears and what sounds best to you! Goodluck
Old 08-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
depending on your budget for purchasing monitors, you will have better quality of course in the high end monitors compared to the lower end ones. Personally I have always prefered 8 inch monitors because it gives proper bass response until I heard a low end version of the Samson RJ5's/RJ6's which sounded great to me for $340. Next step up I would suggest the higher end KRK 8" systems which usually go anywhere between $600-$1200 depending on where and who you get them from. After that You're looking at Event 20/20's, Genelec 1030A's or 8030's (these would be my top pick over all for quality in my opinion and run anywhere from a couple grand to 4 grand depending on where and whom you get them from also.... from there I have really never gotten into the higher monitors so I could not tell you much unfortunately.

I would definately make sure you have an active set instead of passive, or you will need a good power amp to run a passive set of monitors also. Also, make sure to go to a store to listen to the monitors you're interested in before buying caus some of the low budget ones might look tempting, but sound like s*** honestly... You really don't want to compromise for a price tag on a set of monitors because they are going to represent how your sounds are going to translate to the world. Lower end monitors will lack bass response and make a lot of your mixes very bass heavy when you play them on other systems for the most part, and have very poor crossovers. When all else fails, go with your ears and what sounds best to you! Goodluck
Thanks.
But you're talking too expensive. LOL.
I'd rather pick up just 2 active monitors...KRK Rockit (5, 6 or dunno) are my favorite ones for the moment.
Whatcha think about'em??

Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 PM

hed,

I don't have any KRK experience.

goto:

http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s2.html

I don't know what they run, but I have the bigger system they make called Sky System One, and they are great. This set-up is smaller so will be less $$.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 AM

honestly the Rokits are alright for the price, but I would reccomend saving up and getting the higher end KRK's. You will be missing some of the lows in the mix with the Rokit series, although they are much better than other brands. What type of budget are you working with for monitors?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
hed,

I don't have any KRK experience.

goto:

http://www.abluesky.com/p_s_gb/p3s2.html

I don't know what they run, but I have the bigger system they make called Sky System One, and they are great. This set-up is smaller so will be less $$.

Good luck.
A friend of mine could have for me the Sky System One 2.1 (so the little one)...he spoke more or less about 500 euro.
So would you suggest'em 2 me?!
Btw thanks!

Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
honestly the Rokits are alright for the price, but I would reccomend saving up and getting the higher end KRK's. You will be missing some of the lows in the mix with the Rokit series, although they are much better than other brands. What type of budget are you working with for monitors?
About 500-600 euro...not more.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 PM

[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine could have for me the Sky System One 2.1 (so the little one)...he spoke more or less about 500 euro.
So would you suggest'em 2 me?!
Btw thanks!

[/QUOTE]

Okay, for clarity sake, the Sky System One (2.1) system is the bigger system. It runs about 1500+ dollars, so is that about 750 euros? I'm guessing that the system for about 500 euros you speak of is the ProDesk system. I only have experience on the bigger system, not the ProDesk, but if they're anything like their bigger counterpart, yes I definitely recommend them. I wish you could get the Sky System One for a bigger sound, but I also understand the limits of a budget. Blue Sky monitors might be the best systems out there for the money. (now that'll start a monitor 'war' for sure )

Best of luck to you,