Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 03:00 AM

Default Surround reverb plugin for PT 6.4.1 (TDM, Mix cards)

Hi,

Can you recommend a good surround reverberation plugin which will work with PT 6.4.1 (G4, MacOS X10.3.9, PT Mix cube)? Thanks in advance.

Wojtek
Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Surround reverb plugin for PT 6.4.1 (TDM, Mix cards)

Hi,

Just wanted to ask the very same question!
I am searching for 5.1 processing in PT 6.4.1 since at least a month but didn't find anything yet. We can do the editing, mixing all nicely but no reverb etc.
I would be the happiest to have some nice solution instead of having to upgrade to HD!

Cheers, VV
Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM

I do not see why you do not have 5.1 verb. You can pull up a multi mono instance of any plug in on your 5.1 bus and have it feed each output. So I believe reverb one would be a good option.

Also the waves 360 surround tools are there. 5.0 waves I believe works with 6.4.1 Pro Tools.

Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM

Or you can do what I do is pull up 2 indentical stereo reverbs. One panned up front with a little divergence to get it to the center channel and the other reverb feeding the rear channels. This way I have control as to what goes up front and what goes in the rear and how much of it. Also I have control of the rear reverb volume and can have that different than the front. With a 5.1 verb sometimes doing this is harder.

Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks for your answers! I know the Waves reverb but it doesn't fit my needs (am I too demanding? ;-) ). Also trying to adapt stereo reverbs or playing with mono instances of reverbs is a good solution but it involves more time which is crucial in my very situation...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

hi!

there´s also the tllabs tlspace as hdtm plug in.
at least they had a hdtm version before they were bought by digi.
so this would be the best choice i guess.
but the thing is: you need a fast G4 (dual 1Ghz or so) to let it really work good.
you could ask tllabs whether they still have this old version...

and äh... altiverb?

best,
m.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your answers! I know the Waves reverb but it doesn't fit my needs (am I too demanding? ;-) ). Also trying to adapt stereo reverbs or playing with mono instances of reverbs is a good solution but it involves more time which is crucial in my very situation...
I am not talking a mono instance of a reverb 5 times. Open your 5.1 Aux return and then on the insert, insert a multi mono reverb. This should link the reverb just like a 5.1 reverb. I am not talking about 5 mono reverbs.

Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:

you could ask tllabs whether they still have this old version...

I will!

Quote:

and äh... altiverb?

Altiverb! I forgot about it
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I am not talking a mono instance of a reverb 5 times. Open your 5.1 Aux return and then on the insert, insert a multi mono reverb. This should link the reverb just like a 5.1 reverb. I am not talking about 5 mono reverbs.

Simple and clever! I have to give it a try!

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try'em all.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Hi guys,

...reading all your responses, I was searching a bit more on this subject.
I checked already all the available PT surround plugins and so did again now. It seems to me that the only possibility is Waves IR-360. I couldn't for sure tell looking at the Altiverb site, but if I am correct it works with only from PT 6.9 up. There are TL Space and Revibe also but they all seem to work with only the HD systems. (please correct me if I am wrong, but only if you are absolutely sure about it!)

After some research, I wouldn't recommend to work with stereo or mono reverbs in surround. Of course you can experiment with even quite pleasant results, but no matter how simple such setup seems to look, if you take a deeper look into the concept of surround and the newest developments of the two or even one speaker (or also headphone) surround en/decoding systems where the HRTF (head related transfer functions) concept makes a huge advantage of highly efficient encodings possible (mp3 surround with ensonido), then you'll see that in the reverb, like in the original sound too, we need to hear different spatial information in the front and rear channels. Putting the same effect in all channels may sound acceptable, but linking 5 multi-mono reverbs can not be the same what 5.1 reverbs are doing.

Cheers, VV