Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Default MIDI Controllers Not Appearing In Peripherals List

After having scoured the forums looking for a similar problem, I have decided to start this thread.

I have a newly-built Windows 7 computer. I installed Pro Tools 10.1.2 (and have reinstalled it) and everything is configured and working properly...except:

I have both an M-Audio Oxygen49 (blue) and a Novation Impulse49. I have installed the very latest drivers for both, and the latest firmware for the Impulse. I have also installed the latest version of the Automap software for the Impulse. By the way, I don't have both devices connected at the same time.

However, when I go to 'Peripherals' setup and select the MIDI Controllers tab, only "none" appears under any of the device types. Reinstalling, rebooting, reconfiguring have changed nothing. I had the same problem with an M-Audio Oxygen25 (blue) on a completely different computer before building this newer one.

I'd like to know what is causing the problem, actually more than knowing some 'trick' to resolve it. For what reason(s) would a properly configured device not appear in the 'types' list? Now, before you suggest I reinstall Windows, let me tell you why that is not going to happen.

This computer was built specifically as a music workstation. I have Pro Tools, Ableton Live 8, Reason 5, Sonar X1, Presonus Studio One 2, and a MOTU audio interface, not to mention about 20 different VIs and other plugins, ALL WORKING PERFECTLY. I have no problems with either the Oxygen nor the Impulse in any other DAW, only in Pro Tools, and I am just not feeling reloading everything just to get Pro Tools to act right. Besides, even if reinstalling Windows did resolve the problem, I'd still like to know WHY it was a problem to begin with.

I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions, except of course, well, you know

As an aside, I must say, having been using Pro Tools since late January, and Studio One since early May, I'm a little disappointed in the number of weird issues I've had to resolve with PT. I think of all these programs as nothing more than tools to bring musical ideas to reality, and I don't like being lifted out of the creative process to deal with some technical issue!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 AM

Default Re: MIDI Controllers Not Appearing In Peripherals List

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMokoda View Post
After having scoured the forums looking for a similar problem, I have decided to start this thread.

As an aside, I must say, having been using Pro Tools since late January, and Studio One since early May, I'm a little disappointed in the number of weird issues I've had to resolve with PT. I think of all these programs as nothing more than tools to bring musical ideas to reality, and I don't like being lifted out of the creative process to deal with some technical issue!
here here....

I'm renewing my musical ability and have purchased PT10 in January....couldn't agree more.
Chris.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 AM

PT isn't about creativity. It's about recording and processing what the creative people are doing in the live room. Sure, you can use it for composing as well, but it isn't its strenght. PT is an audio console more than anything, and everything else is extra.

Want to be creative and start composing? One word: Sibelius.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM

I know this is an older thread but I running into this EXACT same problem. I was wondering if there ever was a resolution to this users issue. No controllers are showing up in the Midi peripherals list...even though I have all the latest drivers installed. I'm running PT 10.3.7 / Axiom 61 1st gen as my controller. I'm really at a loss.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:36 PM

I would try and install the Avid MIDI drivers so they can see the device!! Unless you already have....

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_69593.zip

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_69602.dmg
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM

@jasonthurley ;

I see these drivers are for PT9....I'm using PT 10.3.7

Wouldn't the MIDI drivers in the latest version of PT (which I'm assuming are more recent and/or updated with the release of 10) be the better ones to use?

I'm completely desperate at this point but I also don't want to screw up my current install

D
Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Those are the MIDI drivers available on the Avid site... the page is here... If they have a release specific for 10 I am unaware, as I believe these drivers havent changed from 9-10 just been updated to work with OS updates...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

Look under "Additional Downloads"

Without the MIDI driver no external MIDI will work
Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM

hmmmm

Well, just for clarification, I'm using this keyboard through USB. Also, I know the keyboard communicates somehow because I can setup a profile in MIDI studio, open a midi track, select an input... and see levels and get notes. The problem I'm having is when I open an instrument track, and try a plugin like Hybrid synth....I cant get any levels or notes. Its really very strange. the Keyboard also shows up in the midi device list, so why I can't I use the keyboard in an instrument track. So....I'm at a loss
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 AM

So make an instrument track.... select the input as your keyboardname>All channels

Now insert a synth plugin.... when you select the track it will now playback using the keyboard in the plugin... the instrument track should auto send to main outs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji3C__hf0qY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7jkHyfdhjg
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 AM

or

Make a midi track select input as your keyboard and send it to an instrument track with a plugin via bus and then out from the instrument track.... It should work.... try something simple like XPPand or the piano plug to test the midi in/out is working