Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Question Pro Tools versions

I'm confused over the three different Pro Tools versions.

I thought LE and M-Powered were "light" versions of the original TDM version. I read in an M-Audio catalog that the only difference is the hardware!? Is this true?

I understand the hardware differences between these three versions. I'm wondering what the software differences are if any.

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools versions

The differences coincide with hardware...

You have track(voice count) limitations with PTMP and LE where with HD you have as many tracks as you have voices etc...but even that is limited to available hardware...theres always a catch lol

The biggest difference in my mind is lack of SMPTE and the ability to sync via SMTPE...

You also dont have delay compensation but that can be remedied with this http://www.mellowmuse.com/.

There are plugs available only for TDM systems wich is I think is pretty lame considering the amount of processing power our Macs have these days...Some of these TDM only guys need to start allowing native use...

I think as processor technology gets better the LE and PTMP versions will drift closer to TDM...or atleast I hope.
Focusrite Platinum Voicemaster Pro
KRK RP8's
1Tb Dual drive array.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:46 PM

There is a lot of room for confusion.

The HD is hardware based, it has its own processing capabilities and so comes with its own plug ins and such. Also a different audio engine that the native ones. Since it has its own processing, Digidesign allows it to record as many tracks as the system itself can handle. This is a holdover from the days when computers couldn't but barely handle audio, and Pro Tools had to have its own processor to do so.

However, this is not the case anymore, and so Digi got into the native recording game with the LE versions. These are the "00's" and the M-Boxes. They are limited in the number of tracks, ostensibly because it reflects the limited capabilities of your computer, but that just isn't really true, the fact is that it is crippleware. Digi will sell you the ability to do more work with your computer and a few other things with the Toolkits. But all you are buying, in terms of track count, is for Digi to "un-cripple" that portion of it. It is not dependent on the processing power of your computer, it is Digidesign's way of keeping the LE and HD family separate. The processing power of my two 2.8 GHz eight core Mac pro is probably four or five times faster than that of my two 2.3 GHz single core processors G5, but that doesn't mean squat to Digidesign in the terms of track count; it's the same crummy 32 it always was until version 8, of course you can buy more... and then buy more if you need them.

Digidesign wanted to get into the lower end market as well, and why not, so they began a relationship with M-Audio. Thus we have the M-Powered versions. The difference had not been as great as it is now until recently, one is no longer able to buy the production toolkits, so the track count is what it is and always will be.

It is not possible to move from one version to another without buying another bit of hardware.

It is a bizarre strategy in my opinion. This sort of pricing structure, and the fact that I could see I was going to be locked into an endless cycle of paying Digidesign for functionality that I could take for granted with every other pro DAW scared me away from being a Pro Tools user right away. I came back to see how PT 8 was going down, and it seems to be OK considering it's a new version and all. And I will at some point own it, I don't like to let my PT skills get too rusty since it is so prevalent. And it's good software- no question. With PT 8 it seems as if they have been listening to what their users have been saying, as well as simultaneously attacking every area in which their competition was ahead of them. That says a lot.

My point is: where you stand in the Digidesign structure is a matter that will require a lot of thought, because it is not easy or inexpensive to move around within it should your needs change. Happy New Year all, L
Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMal View Post
There is a lot of room for confusion.

And it's good software- no question. With PT 8 it seems as if they have been listening to what their users have been saying, as well as simultaneously attacking every area in which their competition was ahead of them. That says a lot.
That was nicely put so I quoted it. As good as 8.0 is ideally they will use it to build momentum to clearly exceed the competition.

Quote:
My point is: where you stand in the Digidesign structure is a matter that will require a lot of thought, because it is not easy or inexpensive to move around within it should your needs change. Happy New Year all, L
This is a good point and while Digi is known for their excellent upgrade opportunity's the truth is that with LE and Mpowered being so similar it would be nice to see some crossgrade offers that allowed one to change platforms without any real penalties. The other side of the coin would be that given the product overlap it would perhaps be better to roll both native platforms into one line. I also understand the need for a entry level platform. I do think a updated version of PT FREE 8.0 that ran only on and came bundled with something like the Transit would be like heroin for the casual hobbyist. LE has some better expansion options and MAudio has some hip hardware options.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88