Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Track/"Channel Strip" Presets DO exist in Pro Tools, apparently...

ohh geez, you're right..i didnt click on the wall.. i was signed in.... lol...

not a very frequent FBer am i!?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
ohh geez, you're right..i didnt click on the wall.. i was signed in.... lol...

not a very frequent FBer am i!?
Don't feel bad; this sometimes trips me up as well and I'm usually on FB a couple of times a day. Sometimes FB links change on their own and that makes for a real mess trying to follow something.

QAPLA!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
here's the link to the "story" http://blog.mixonline.com/mixblog/20...tools-feature/

not being a facebooker, can somebody report on the comments as linked?

thoughts on this being genuine - he seems a stand up pro guy/ it's a logical place in PT for this to be accessed / presumably SOMEBODY is looking at Ideascale

thoughts on this being not genuine - Never saw this in 10.1.2, as has no one else apparently / odd selection of names for presets if this dude didn't create them himself / no methodology of how to get to this menu given

I'm thinking this is bogus but PRAYING to the good gods that this will happen....

EDIT: AVID forum dudes - you can surely say "this is not a real screen grab" without causing yourselves any of the that listed-company-problem-stuff?
I dig some more digging on this and it seems that these are factory track templates included with Pro Tools SE (the version of Pro Tools included with many M-Audio interfaces). Later tonight when I have time, I'm going to try to replicate the situation in the screenshot (running Pro Tools but using the track templates from SE) and see if they can be modified. I'll be back with the results. As of right now, I'm unhappy at the thought of Pro Tools SE getting this feature, but Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD not getting this feature.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

Ah. That makes some sense, as it would help beginners out, but every version should def have that feature. Especially if we could customize them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Ah. That makes some sense, as it would help beginners out, but every version should def have that feature. Especially if we could customize them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES! YES! Ha ha ha! It's alive! I got it to work! The trick is to save templates in folders within a folder titled "Track Presets" within the Avid > Pro Tools folder. So, here are the steps. By the way, I am currently using 10.2, but I'm fairly positive this will work on 8, 9, or 10.

1) Go to Applications > Avid > Pro Tools. Here, create a folder titled "Track Presets". I also recommend creating folders within "Track Presets" for different categories (ex: Submix Masters, Reverbs, etc) although you can do that later on.
2) Create and configure tracks (including inputs, outputs, names, sends, volume, pan, plug-ins, etc) as desired.
3) From the File menu, choose Save As Template.
4) Choose "Select Location for template"
5) Navigate to your Track Presets folder (or sub-folders) or just save anywhere then move to these folders later.

Once your templates are saved to this "Track Presets" folder (or folders within it), they will appear as options in the New Track dialog below the normal track types (audio track, aux input track, etc). You can still use Command + Down/Up to switch through these and Option Command Down/Up will switch between multiples in your sub-folders.

Oh man! I so freaking stoked!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPhillip View Post
YES! YES! Ha ha ha! It's alive! I got it to work! The trick is to save templates in folders within a folder titled "Track Presets" within the Avid > Pro Tools folder. So, here are the steps. By the way, I am currently using 10.2, but I'm fairly positive this will work on 8, 9, or 10.

1) Go to Applications > Avid > Pro Tools. Here, create a folder titled "Track Presets". I also recommend creating folders within "Track Presets" for different categories (ex: Submix Masters, Reverbs, etc) although you can do that later on.
2) Create and configure tracks (including inputs, outputs, names, sends, volume, pan, plug-ins, etc) as desired.
3) From the File menu, choose Save As Template.
4) Choose "Select Location for template"
5) Navigate to your Track Presets folder (or sub-folders) or just save anywhere then move to these folders later.

Once your templates are saved to this "Track Presets" folder (or folders within it), they will appear as options in the New Track dialog below the normal track types (audio track, aux input track, etc). You can still use Command + Down/Up to switch through these and Option Command Down/Up will switch between multiples in your sub-folders.

Oh man! I so freaking stoked!!!
I saw that you also posted this to the Ideascale page I submitted but I can't seem to get this method to work. I can open a session (with lots of tracks), select a track I want saved as a preset, select "save as template" and then "select location for template," etc ... but nothing new shows up in the new track dialog. It creates a .ptxt file, is this correct?
OSX 10.7.5
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Yes, it does create a .ptxt file. However, you do have to make those subfolders inside of the Track Presets folder. The .ptxt files should then be saved/moved inside of those subfolders. Oh, another detail... Since "Save As Template" includes all tracks in the session, the session should only contain tracks that should be in the track preset prior to choosing "Save As Template". A different solution that might appeal more to your mentioned workflow is this:
-Select the track(s) in the large session that you want to use as a preset.
-Choose "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" from the File menu.
-Press OK in the resulting dialog.
-Choose your location (inside of a subfolder within Track Presets).
-In the Finder, change the extension of the session from .ptx to .ptxt.
-Voila!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 AM

A huge round of applause to PTPhillip, great work!

Working here on 10.2 HD. This will be part of my workflow from now on.

This should be in 10.3 officially, we just need a way of saving a strip preset directly without renaming for this too work.

I know you can "import session data" - but what would be amazing is if when selecting an insert point on a channel , appearing under one's plugins and i/o there could be an option for "Track Preset" which would allow plugin import from a saved preset onto a prexisting channel. It should also be able to "downstream" i.e. if in slot one i have an eq I want to keep i could call the track preset up in slot two and that would be next in the chain.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Here's the video http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pro-tools.html

Philip deserves a drink!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
Here's the video http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pro-tools.html

Philip deserves a drink!
Hi Philip & Russ,

woooowwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!

Unbelievable that this isn't covered in the manual !!!
This is a biiiiiiiig timesaver and imo a major new PT-feature!

I will try it out immediately

Thx so much
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8