Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 AM

Default Which is better?

I am trying to decide on which route to go and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction; should I get a 1ghz tower w/ the 002 (mixer) or a 1.24 dual w/ the 002 rack? Which system will give me the most milage and how crucial are the faders? I'm a relative newbie so I don't know if I would be missing out by using a mouse versus actual faders.
Thanks! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Which is better?

when do you plan to get the Macs? Wait till after June. After Apple WWDC.

Wiz
Old 05-24-2003, 03:00 PM

Why is that Wiz ?
Old 05-24-2003, 03:00 PM

So does that mean get a bigger, badder Mac and 002 rack? Can you do the same things with a mouse that you can with faders? I'm asking because I don't know. Will I end up wanting physical faders later??
Thanks again! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 03:06 PM

on a somewhat related note, how realistic is the idea that Apple could release a dual-processor Powerbook anytime soon? I know it seems like a long shot, but I'm just curious, perhaps those in the know have a vagus idea how far away we are from that, a few months, a year? I checked Macrumors.com but didn't see any mention of it...
Old 05-24-2003, 03:13 PM

Well, it all really depends on how you like to work. I prefer to use the mouse and drawing automation when working on mixes, some others don't. It took a little practice at first, but I can pretty much nail my mixes now just as fast as if I were to take a couple of live passes at them...and I don't always have the option of having faders in front of me, so the mouse skills were a must!

I suggest you try out a mix using only the mouse at your local dealer or on a friend's DAW and see if it's for you. Then buy based on what works best...
San Diego, CA
Old 05-24-2003, 10:19 PM

To speak for Wiz, and his advice to wait until AFTER the Apple WWDC, it's likely new Macs will be announced. You know the rest of the story - prices of existing models drop, and the new ones make us salivate.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Wait till after June. After Apple WWDC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">While as an avid Mac rumor reader and follower I can understand why you would think to say this, however you would be a fool to follow this advice, and here's why:

1) IF new macs are announced at the WWDC, they won't be qualified to be compatible with digi hardware after quite some time, and may never make it (see 1st rev. MDD G4's)

2) Only rich people buy the first revision of any computer model, you're only asking for trouble (again, see 1st rev. MDD G4., Yikes G4 etc.)

3) Even if apple announces new towers, they (as usual) probably won't ship for a few months

4) regarding price drops of current models: this is actually usually pretty true, although again with the exception of ALL the MDD model G4's - protools users generally steer clear of the current models because of OS9 incompatibility, fan noise (previous line) etc. The Dual 1ghz Quicksilver is still the best G4 for protools use, and they're still going for upwards of $2000 on ebay etc.

conclusion: If you aren't in a hurry, waiting for a potential price drop on current models in anticipation of a still-only-rumored new tower line could be a wise move, however that still puts you a month away from a system which may (and probably won't) show up in June. If nothing new comes out, that leaves you in the same spot you're in now, with zero days of experience using protools under your belt. Not to mention how tempted one would be to buy a new tower if they were announced, opening up all the previously mentioned cans of worms....

If you need a protools system now, get the most powerful computer you can afford. If you don't care about running OS9, that would put you with the dual 1.42 G4. If you want the wider plug-in availability that OS9 offers, get the OS 9 capable dual 1.25 G4.

As far as the 002 vs. 002 rack, I can't offer much because I haven't used either. I'm not a control surface fan, but I learned ProTools without one. As a new user, you may like the added functionality of the control surface or you might not, the best thing to do is try it out at your local dealer.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:19 AM

Wow!! Great advice from all of you guys. I am definitely going to Sam Ash to play w/ their toys now. It sounds as if a lot of you don't use a control surface however you have a knowledgable grasp of Pro Tools so maybe it's not that important but why is a Quicksilver dual 1ghz better than the newer more powerful Macs? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]