Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Best way to use wav samples

Hi all. I'm pretty fluent in PT, but new at using samplers, so i thought i'd post this question here, as it's kinda basic it seems to me.

I've mostly used PT to record real instruments and have used some virtual instruments that I didn't create myself. Like Kontakt, Arturia synths, and some of the built in stuff in PT. (almost always later replaced with a real one tho...)

I'd like to start getting into pop producing a little more and using some external wav samples I have.

What's the easiest way to a bunch of wav samples in PT? I have several folders of claps, kicks, percussion, loops, and even other pitched instruments. In the past I've just scrolled through in a browser and dropped them onto an audio track manually, but that's a bit tedious.

Can I load them all up into a new instrument in kontakt or Xpand!2 or something like that? I'm sure people must be doing something like this.

Perhaps there are tutorials out there that cover this seemingly basic thing?

Thanks!

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 08-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Best way to use wav samples

Kontakt is the easiest way imho, but of course you need to own it as the demo version times out after 30 minutes. Structure free plays samples but the workflow is horrible.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 PM

Thanks - I do own it,so no prob there, just learning how to use it w external wavs.

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 PM

At thh top of the left browser just under the word 'Kontakt Player' are a few options, click on the second one called 'files' and it will bring up your local drives. Navigate to the folder the samples are in and when you double click on the sample it will load it into an instance in the Kontakt player, then just trigger it via a keyboard or putting midi notes in with the mouse. Obviously you can go a lot deeper as far as editing etc, but search youtube for some tutes as that would take forever to explain here.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Kontakt is the easiest way imho, but of course you need to own it as the demo version times out after 30 minutes. Structure free plays samples but the workflow is horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Thanks - I do own it,so no prob there, just learning how to use it w external wavs.
Another NI program if one has it is Battery 4. You can assign individual samples/loops/etc. to different cells. There's even a way to have a single cell change pitch according to a range of notes played on a music keyboard by setting keyboard tracking. I also have Kontakt and find it a bit challenging to properly use one's own samples/one shots/loops.

If you have UVI Falcon you can also put your own samples & loops into that as well.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-29-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: changed pitch trackinh to keyboard tracking
Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Well, as with everything in the digital audio world, there's no one "right" way to do anything! That said, here's another option to consider. For a long time I've used both AIR Structure and AIR Transfuser (the full versions of both) for playing samples. Transfuser is great for creating loops, or creating creative processing of audio and a whole host of other things for sample processing. Its pretty powerful, in my opinion. Structure (full version) is fairly easy for assigning samples across the keyboard and editing and processing from there. There's still some features I wish it had, such as an arpeggiator, for example. But over all, I've used it many times to create new patches from audio samples.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Old 09-01-2019, 04:28 AM

Easiest way to get samples loaded into Kontakt quickly is to name the files you want to use numerically (from lowest note to highest note), then select them and drag them into the mapping editor. Do not release the mouse button, try dragging it around the black area of the mapping editor. You will see them extend across multiple notes or tighten up depending on where you move the mouse. Release the mouse in the best position and you will have a playable instrument. Once the files are mapped, you can also grab the edges of each sample individually and adjust mapping that way. You can save the instrument using the floppy disk (!) icon near the top of the screen.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?