Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Can PT11HD be installed without HDX or HD Native hardware?

I have a couple of rigs with HD10 (HD4s) and TDM interfaces. I know TDM is dead in PT 11. However, if I wanted to upgrade to PT11 would I be needing to purchase the PT10HD to PT11HD upgrade? In case of doing so, and I pay the $599 update, will it even install in a system which doesn't have an HDX or HD Native interface?
in other words, will PT11HD without an interface attached run as PT11 native and will in fact install at all?

I ask because I am not in a position to upgrade the hardware of these rigs right now, but may want to upgrade to PT11 especially because you can ran both PT10HD and PT11 concurrently and would like to use PT11's functionality.

I am not sure you can upgrade from PT10HD to PT11 running native... and plus I would loose my upgrade to PT11HD for when I do upgrade the hardware to HDX.

Any help is gladly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Can PT11HD be installed without HDX or HD Native hardware?

Yes you can.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM

That's correct.

Also, keep in mind, that when you do the trade up to HDX, at that time you will get a brand new license for HD11 software with that tradeup/purchase.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks all for your replies...

A follow up. I've heard that only certain MacBook Pros will run PT11. We also have a portable rig running on a MacBook Pro 17" i7 late 2011 that has been running PTHD 10 perfectly fine with a Magma PCI-X chassis. I am hoping that such a machine can run PT11 even if it is native ("vanilla" as I've seen it called online). Do you have any info if a MacBook Pro (non retina) late 2011 i7 loaded can run PT11?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro371 View Post
Thanks all for your replies...

A follow up. I've heard that only certain MacBook Pros will run PT11. We also have a portable rig running on a MacBook Pro 17" i7 late 2011 that has been running PTHD 10 perfectly fine with a Magma PCI-X chassis. I am hoping that such a machine can run PT11 even if it is native ("vanilla" as I've seen it called online). Do you have any info if a MacBook Pro (non retina) late 2011 i7 loaded can run PT11?

Thanks!
Hi,

Avid can only put a computer on the compatibility list if it will deliver the power and functions required to run the new AAE 64 bit audio engine and all the new power hungry features. and doesn't have any known issues that can interfere with the hardware (ala harpertown and the new cards firmware issue etc)

IF you install and use on an earlier non approved computer that is NOT qualified then you can't complain when things don't run or you get freezes and beach balls etc. you're taking a gamble. it might work or it might not but you're on your own when it comes to support.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks Chris..

I am perfectly aware of the support issue. My question was in fact if there is anyone (any beta testers may chime in perhaps) who have tested it and can chime in as to how it works, even if it is unsupported... or if there are any known issues from the engineering perspective (e.g. hardware incompatibilities) specifically related to these machines that would preclude them from running PT11.

On paper, it seems they should run it, but under the hood there might be issues that we regular users are unaware of that someone with access to engineering minimum requirements and know how could alert us so that we don't jump blind into purchases and upgrades only to find out it didn't work in the first place.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro371 View Post
Thanks Chris..

I am perfectly aware of the support issue. My question was in fact if there is anyone (any beta testers may chime in perhaps) who have tested it and can chime in as to how it works, even if it is unsupported... or if there are any known issues from the engineering perspective (e.g. hardware incompatibilities) specifically related to these machines that would preclude them from running PT11.

On paper, it seems they should run it, but under the hood there might be issues that we regular users are unaware of that someone with access to engineering minimum requirements and know how could alert us so that we don't jump blind into purchases and upgrades only to find out it didn't work in the first place.
Hi,

No one from Avid or anyone under the NDA will post about working on non supported systems! They can only say non supported or not tested and leave it to the user base to try non supported equipment at their own risk.

Once 11 is released there will be plenty of users prepared to test everything
So we should have all the answers once released!!!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks Chris again...

Agreed... but... If they stated some hardware is not supported, other than not tested, then they have indeed tested it or know something about it that leads them to consider it to not be able to run their product at its fullest. It would be good business practice then to inform your users and customers if there are any hardware incompatibilities (e.g like the harpertown case) of those units that have been tested... or more information as to why they are unsupported, so that the user then can make an informed decision to decide to take the risk.

I was under the impression that the NDA was lifted once the product was announced, but I stand corrected... it may be when the product actually ships...

Thanks again for your comments...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Yes you can.
Thanks for this answer. One more thing though, which I can't seem to see answered anywhere.

Will running PT11 HD on my laptop, where I was running PT10 + CPTK, still allow me to have the full features (surround, VCA's etc etc).

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM

that´s what i want to know as well !!!
do we have full HD/CPTK features with PT 11 DH software without HD-Hardware.
PT 10 HD software worked fine on my laptop without HD hardware.
so i hope it will also work with PT11HD.
without this posibility it would be a big step backwards for protools native systems and people who work with 3rd party interfaces.
? ......