Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Default so no possibility to use more s3s but what about the S1

I see, the s1 is coming soon and it can be up to 32 channels...
What will happen with the S3 Eddie Jones?
Will there be a possibility to add some S1 to a S3 Setup...
More interesting is for me... Will there be stands to hold more Ipads for the S3 to use the Metering in the same way, like the S1...
OR IS the S3 end of life?...

I think its end of life, isn´t it...

And why selling a S4, which is a normal S6 M10 with Display Modules...
Its so affordable? like the Marketing says... Hey it costs more than a S6 M10... Very affordable....
Old 07-19-2019, 04:50 PM

Default Re: so no possibility to use more s3s but what about the S1

One aspect of the S3 that the S1 can't beat is for those that use large displays, ie 30" 2560 x 1600. The height of the S1 with an iPad would be quite high. (I have removed all of the rubber on my Dock for this reason...and it makes it a lot better).
I would also miss the 2 rows of OLEDS.
S1 does look impressive however, if perhaps not for the the updated control app, which I look forward to seeing. You can obviously run more than device now, which is fantastic IMO.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-20-2019, 03:03 AM

Apart from the top row of encoders (which I don't use very often) I see 2xS1 as a replacement of the S3. It is also a lot cheaper!

You're not forced to use the ipads so you can hang your large monitor over it.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
I see, the s1 is coming soon and it can be up to 32 channels...
What will happen with the S3 Eddie Jones?
Will there be a possibility to add some S1 to a S3 Setup...
More interesting is for me... Will there be stands to hold more Ipads for the S3 to use the Metering in the same way, like the S1...
OR IS the S3 end of life?...

I think its end of life, isn´t it...

And why selling a S4, which is a normal S6 M10 with Display Modules...
Its so affordable? like the Marketing says... Hey it costs more than a S6 M10... Very affordable....
Let me try and answer these:
  • At present we have no plans to EOL S3 but if sales drop to nothing next year we might be forced to. Dont forget even if we do there will be a further 5 years hardware support and we still release free updates today for the very first Artist Mix 12 years ago, so software wont be an issue.
  • I honestly don't know whether the new meters screen will work with S3 yet. Its very early days and my priority at the moment is to get it solid for the S1 GA later this year.
  • As for the S4 cost comment, one SKU is a little more than S6 M10 granted, but the others are all lower, not only that if you compare to the M40 which also allows screens its a lot cheaper. Its relative...a customer looking for a 24 fader S6 with screens now has a $20k 'more affordable' option.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 PM

Really keen to try the S1.. Looks really good IMO.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Let me try and answer these:
  • At present we have no plans to EOL S3 but if sales drop to nothing next year we might be forced to. Dont forget even if we do there will be a further 5 years hardware support and we still release free updates today for the very first Artist Mix 12 years ago, so software wont be an issue.
  • I honestly don't know whether the new meters screen will work with S3 yet. Its very early days and my priority at the moment is to get it solid for the S1 GA later this year.
  • As for the S4 cost comment, one SKU is a little more than S6 M10 granted, but the others are all lower, not only that if you compare to the M40 which also allows screens its a lot cheaper. Its relative...a customer looking for a 24 fader S6 with screens now has a $20k 'more affordable' option.
The S3 is a really cool product and if there is actually talk of it not selling anymore, that should be a clear indicator that it's overpriced! If it comes down to few sales, I wish you would lower the price instead. You would have moved a lot more of these things at $2500 or even $3000, in my view.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Avid

It's a lot more complicated than that. Avid has to make money on the sales to enable the free software support and develop new products. Hardware prices are not just set, they are calculated from a large number of things, from development cost, to parts cost, manufacturing cost, supporting the hardware, software dev, not to mention general day to day running of Avid. The S3 isn't cheap to make unfortunately.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
It's a lot more complicated than that. Avid has to make money on the sales to enable the free software support and develop new products. Hardware prices are not just set, they are calculated from a large number of things, from development cost, to parts cost, manufacturing cost, supporting the hardware, software dev, not to mention general day to day running of Avid. The S3 isn't cheap to make unfortunately.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
And I'm sure that because it's kind of a niche product doesn't help keep the cost down either. It could definitely be cheaper without the AVB interface built in that a lot of people don't need. At least there is new stuff coming out
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 AM

But why does the S4, which is more expensive than the S6 M10 only have
cheap ALPS Faders and no Premium TKD faders...

If i have to decide, i would go for a s6 m10, than a S4, which has cheap faders...
This is normal... Sell Hardware for higher prices with lesser quality...

My next purchase will be a s6 m10, and no s4...
Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
My next purchase will be a s6 m10, and no s4...
The S6-M10 is being/is discontinued. So your "next purchase" better happen fast or you'll be buying on the used market to get one.