Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 AM

Default Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control Success Stories

Hello,
I just started searching for reviews on the Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control. I've watched some very unique videos on their website. I'm a Pro Tools and Logic user so this may be a decent investment for me. However, I'm looking for professional feedback from DUC users. I owned a Control 24 and it was great except for the "ergonomics" of the piece so I sold it. Mousing around, shortcutting, and etc with 50 plus tracks per project gets "trigger finger" fatiguing. I would appreciate it if those of you who have experienced using them on a continual basis to please post your replies here.

Thanks
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control Success Stories

I've been using the control and mix now for about a year. Great interfaces, good ergonomics. Shame they've been hobbled as a HUI, but it ain't a digi box. I do audio post, and don't generally have huge track counts, so having 12 physical faders works for me. Touch screen is a bonus and the ability to create your own soft keys is great for workflow.
Hope this helps.
cheers,
John
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM

Hello [email protected],
What did you mean when you said, "it ain't a digi box"? Does it have any shortfalls? I'm still using G5 PCI-X machines i.e. Dual 2.3 and a Dual 2.7 running Pro Tools 7.4cs6 and Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 8gb ram. What OS and version of Pro Tools, and computer are you using? Thanks for your help with this.
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 01-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so having 12 physical faders works for me.
John,

How do you get around the 12-channel banks? Since each bank is actually 16 channels...do you have to insert space-holders (midi tracks) to make 16 channels per "bank" ? What's your workaround?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
Hello [email protected],
What did you mean when you said, "it ain't a digi box"? Does it have any shortfalls? I'm still using G5 PCI-X machines i.e. Dual 2.3 and a Dual 2.7 running Pro Tools 7.4cs6 and Mac OSX 10.4.11 with 8gb ram. What OS and version of Pro Tools, and computer are you using? Thanks for your help with this.
What he's referring to (I'm guessing) is that products like the Control24, C24, and the DControl/DCommand spill out the information across the surface. The protocol is a dedicated communication and language as opposed to HUI or EUCON that was built by Digidesign for their own hardware to work with their own software. For example, plugin mapping is extensive and predictable across their consoles where with third-party controllers, it's not. You may or may no be able to control certain functions like you think you would, you don't have dedicated assignment buttons such as those for Playlists, the dedicated automation buttons, and a lot more. With that said the Euphonix Artist series products certainly works fine and offers a lot of features for a lot less money, but there is a difference in the total control when you get down to it.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 PM

Hey Brad,
Randy here! I got my Focusrite ISA 428 from you back in the fall of 2009. Well, even when I had my Control 24, editing my plugins via the mouse and screen was better visually for me. That's my workflow. However, as far as the faders, mutes, automation, and the use of show/hide Pro Tools markers that will allow me to have certain faders in a "quasi" locked fader setup, the Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control looks like they may work well for me. I use outboard pre's so the C24 or Control 24 mic pre's are not a need. I did consider a used 24 fader ProControl but I have great fears that they will soon run out of gas as far as software support from Digi. I am concerned about the durability of the Euphonix stuff because I will be using it at minimum 5 days per week. What do you know about them cosmetically and functionally, and structurally?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM

I use both in my home studio. Nothing but success, although the LCD on the Control went bad and needed to be replaced.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control Success Stories
Wish I could give you but I cant. All I can give you is a horror story.

The touch screen display is so bad that it will push other soft buttons that those on which you thought to have clicked.

You will have to move your head in over the piece to see what's on the display.

I tried the Control unit for about a day and if someone forced me to buy it and use it I might just have to kill myself.

In the end I got stuck with a $300 Novation using Automap. It works great and is 100% customizable. Sure it aint as fancy looking as the Eupho but you can do about 100% more with it than the eupho which is a dead-in-the-water item. IMO.....
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Thumbs down Re: Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I use both in my home studio. Nothing but success, although the LCD on the Control went bad and needed to be replaced.
Yup, display went on ours, but support was adequate....I'm in Canada, and the faulty unit was easily exchanged...twice...

Mostly I hate how loud the faders are...constantly 'snapping' into place. Unusable in a client approval session. Had them about a year now. Beware, and definitely try before you buy. Hopefully they can improve in the future. We have 2 of the fader packs and the MC Control unit. Useful for tracking drums, or other loud sessions. Terrible for doing dialog.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Nothing but sucess here too. Using 2 MC mix here with PT HD. Love it. Love its size, the faders are good. It's not good for controling plugins but I do sometimes. Sends, pan, mutes, etc all working great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post

How do you get around the 12-channel banks? Since each bank is actually 16 channels...do you have to insert space-holders (midi tracks) to make 16 channels per "bank" ? What's your workaround?
That's the reason I went to 2 mc mixes instead of one mc mix and one mc control. But you could also put those faders in specifc channels (master, drum bus, guitar bus, etc...) so that they don't change when you bank.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0