Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Mac To Win NT File Transfer Problem ... Need Help

I have been using Pro Tools 4.3.1 on a Mac. Recently the company sent us a couple of Pro Tools systems for windows NT running Pro Tools 5.0.1.

I have backed up past Mac sessions on CD rom as Mac/PC hybrids using Toast Titanium 5.02. If I restore them on the Win NT machine, it will not recognize the sessions or the audio files.(Even though Pro Tools on Win NT lists "Pro Tools 4.X for Mac as an option in the open session box.)

I went back to the Mac and tried backing up a session both as a Mac disc, ISSO9660 and ISSO9660 Joliet.

I had the demo version of Mac Opener installed.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get the Mac files open on the Win NT? It's probably something simple.
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-05-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Mac To Win NT File Transfer Problem ... Need Help

Here is a post I have repeated before. I may have previously posted more complete info (as have others), so do a search for my name, and you might find a handful of useful threads if this doesn't suffice:

June 26, 2000 with Bill at Digidesign -
Goal is to create a Mac HFS volume, saved as Mac data, that can be read by MacOpener program. NOT a multiplatform disc, please.
1- On Mac, do a SAVE SESSION COPY into 1 folder. Make sure to enable "Copy Audio Files and Session Plug-in Settings Folder", and if desired, also "Copy Root Plug-In Settings Folder" and/or "Copy Movie/Video Files".
2- Drag that folder into Toast, and burn it to cd .
3- On PC, in Start/MacOpener/MacOpener Driver Preferences, change setting to 'Mac-Mac Compatibility Mode', and maybe 'MacIntosh portion has preference' in 'Dual CD-ROM' tab. You do not need to reboot after these changes.
4- Open the file in ProTools (perhaps specify "Mac 5.0 Session" as type).
5- Select "FILE/Save Session Copy In", set bit rate, select "Copy Audio Files and…", perhaps also "Copy Root Plug-In Settings…" and "Copy Movie…", select destination. That should do it.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:50 AM

I wish it were that simple. I did exactly as you instructed and the Win NT machine would not recognize the files.

I burned the session as a Mac Disc, ISSO9660, Joliet and hybrid.

I even purchased an installed Mac-Opener 6.05
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-06-2003, 07:48 AM

I just finished trying a direct network transfer of the file. It still can not be recognized.

So I tried burning two CD's. One as Mac OS and another as Mac OS Extended. Neither of the discs are recognized by the Win NT machine. In othe words, I can't even open the CD. I get F:\is not accessible incorrect function
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-06-2003, 09:45 AM

One final post before logging off ... pulling my hair out and converting this machine into a boat anchor ....

This machine running MacOpener 6.05 will not open any Mac formatted CD. It will open floppies, but not CD's. I was on Tech support with the MacOpener people for over an hour and they exhausted all their options without success. So I am uncertain where to go from here.

Dave
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-06-2003, 05:01 PM

I wish I could help, but it sounds like the problem has more to do with MacOpener than with ProTools. I had some suggestions, but if you talked to the folks at Dataviz, I'm assuming they covered all of that stuff - e.g., I remember needing to fuss with the MacOpener preference settings, I think (it has been a while) to set DualCD to Mac Priority, maybe also Mac-Mac compatability?

Is it possible that the CD-rom you are using is just a stinker, and that you can swap one from another machine, or borrow an external, and see if that cures it?

Another possibility it to use a scsi or 1394 external hard drive, which I think for Protools must still be a mac hfs volume.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:20 AM

I really appreciate your help. You never know when some small comment will turn into a big clue.

I am trying to locate another CD ROM preferably a USB one to test here. My current CD rom will see Windows CD's and CD's I burn from the Mac in Hybrid mode. For some unkown reason, MacOpener is unable to access the CD ROM on the Win NT machine for CD's burned as HFS volumes.

I am kind of at a loss where to turn right now.

As a side note: Our company bought these systems in July 01, from Harris Broadcast. They were completely set up with everything installed by Harris. Because of serious problems with Pro Tool on Win NT. Company wide there was a huge amount of frustration with the system and with DigiDesign support. Our local engineers didn't want to deal with those problems so the two Pro Tools systems (plus two Mackie Digital boards sat in our equipment storage room unopened until last week.

My Mac version (4.3) appears that it may be developing some hard disc problems. Plus 4.3 is no longer supported and there is no MP3 capability.

I convinced engineers to allow me to test the two systems. The first system I tried just goes to blue screen everytime I launch Pro Tools. The second ssystem is working fine. But, I fear what will happen when I install a CD burner and other applications and hardware for the system to be practical.

I am trying to figure out how I can convince Digi to upgrade me to the XP version. The NT versions was a mess and we never used these systems because of those problems.

Anyway, enough already.

Dave
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-07-2003, 10:31 AM

Just curious why you don't put the cards in your Mac? (I use both XP and Mac so this isn't intended as flame bait... just curious).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-07-2003, 10:42 AM

That's not a bad question. The pure and simple answer is that the company is set up corporate wide for PC's. Applications, Email (Outlook for mac sucks), Network, etc. I prefer the Mac, I have a PC at home. However, at work, if I have a Mac problem I am all alone. Our IT guy wants nothing to do with it. When my Mac G3 becomes extinct, guess what? Corp ain't springing for a new one. So I am trying to be proactive and get ahead of the curve.

Also, all of the other producers use Win 2000 machines running Cool Edit Pro.

Dave
4000 #1 Radio Dr.
Louisville, KY 40218
502-479-2316
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 PM

"...serious problems with Pro Tool on Win NT. ..."
I started out with Protools 4.n on NT. SO MANY PROBLEMS WENT AWAY in the shift from NT to Win2k that I highly recommend at least upgrading to Win2k from NT (XP is even a little more stable, and requires less thought and fussing than Win 2k - I recommend that, too, but the difference from 2K to XP is small compared to the improvement from NT to 2K).

"…. The first system I tried just goes to blue screen every time I launch Pro Tools…"
Check the compatibility site CAREFULLY. There are many less bugs with OS improvements, too. My first two months didn't even get me as far as the blue screen, no boot, nothing. I finally got a different video card ($75 - the only thing in my system that was not the recommended one), and discovered that I wasted two months over an unsupported card; I never had another problem like it.

"…The second system is working fine. But, I fear what will happen when I install a CD burner and other applications and hardware for the system to be practical…."
I often ran MixPlus while emailing, working on Word and Excel files, etc. The only consistent problem I had was a bizarre crash in Word when I did a cut and paste in it. This all has disappeared with XP (but I'm on HD and v5.3n now, so that may have helped). But I also repeat - Check the compatibility site CAREFULLY. If you still have problems, you can post them (or first check my previous answers on the DUC), I went through a variety of hassles that I solved and posted. But they're pretty rare at this point (used to be common with NT).

"… I am trying to figure out how I can convince Digi to upgrade me to the XP version. The NT versions was a mess and we never used these systems because of those problems…"
It won't hurt to upgrade from 5.0.n to 5.3.n (you might have to if you change OS). In general, I find the software upgrade is not that much, generally worth it (there always seem to be at least convenience improvements that turn out to be major time savers), and it may also help with problems (but the OS change is likely to be the big improvement).