Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

barry we both have HD3 accell so its nice that ur throwing the trolls a bone but u know good and well the stability and greatness of HD
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Default Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
Im just glad i was able to get my HD system for under 2k because the 20k was not gonna happen. So i guess HDX did something good. drove the price down

late adopter huh, yeah great prices right now for TDM hardware.

and as needed a devils advocate.....I found this today just as a pure coincidence.....MOTU's 1248

http://www.motu.com/products/avb/1248

That's with DSP ITB BTW

Wow sorry I posted that pic via mobile and I didn't realize how big it was on a desktop.......Sorry.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:48 PM

not a late adapter per say but i couldnt afford 20k so u can call it what u want.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

I didn't call you an adapter (nor a tool) (As your posts suggest)

For the record.....I would hate to get ding'd by the mods

Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
That's with DSP ITB BTW
The new MOTU stuff has a LOT of great features - but be very clear - the path you are showing is using the separate MOTU monitor mixer app and taps into the FPGA based DSP in the interface! Just like the ZenStudio and many others. Has nothing to do with monitoring through plugins in your DAW. regardless - their mixer has an impressive feature list and the Latency at 48kHz is much less than HDX - nothing to dismiss out of hand...

RTL through a DAW is decent on this box but not best in class. Best in class (for a standalone interface going through ProTools) right now is the Ensemble 2 Thunderbolt and the AVID HDN - both showing 1.8ms through the ProTools at 96kHz/64buffer. The HDN driver is solid - the E2 is still pretty new.

If you are willing to go to Logic the E2 driver supports 32 buffers at 96kHz representing 1.1ms RTL !!!! But there are no real reports on stability and useability yet at that operating point. And its Logic ya know
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 PM

Yep nice - i did leave that out.....

Well said....

edit (it is still pretty darn good for DSP itb however. My saffire is like 3m/s just itb with no DSP to speak of)

Old 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
barry we both have HD3 accell so its nice that ur throwing the trolls a bone but u know good and well the stability and greatness of HD
I'm constantly telling everyone I talk to that IMO, HD TDM is the way place to be right now, at least for the next 5 years.

That being said, I am impressed with what MOTU is doing as well as UA Apollo! Some compelling stuff, IMO.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM

ua is actually an alternative not a complete solution but better than nothing
Old 12-10-2014, 09:33 PM

At least with the Waves systems they integrate nicely with HDX as well, but can slow be used outside of the ProTools environment.

I'm not saying TDM is a bad thing, but it's dying a slow death. Unfortunately you can't stop progress. If you could we'd all be still living like that Armish!! I just wouldn't recomend TDM at this point to anyone because you would be investing in equipment that is soon to be obsolete, and you can't change that.

And if I were the owner of TDM equipment I would start putting my cash away to crossgrade to a modern contemporary. HDX, Waves, UAD. The Waves system seems more flexible at this point and that is where I would possibly consider investing... Or sticking to native.

With a decent system you can get very low latency. As a proficient musician I do notice latency higher than 7ms, it tends to throw off my performance. So for playing keys or bass 7 or below is my magic number.

I'm not a vocalist, however I have recorded some voice overs in the past and do notice anything above 3ms is a distraction. I'm not really concerned with comb-filtering because I know the audio won't be written down like that.

So I can see merit to some of these arguments, but as writers/arrangers almost everyone is working with latency to a certain degree. Whether it be myself or Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmerman, they too use virtual instruments with latencies similar to ones I have told you about. And they get the job done.

So as musician it is less noticable, you more think of it as contributing to the action of an instrument. As a vocalist, you do want lower latencies...

But is it possible to track natively. These days YES. It's 2014, not 2004.

Is it more beneficial to track with DSP, well excluding the cost factor, that would be YES again.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM

i would say investing 2k in a system that in the very recent past was 20k is a good investment!!! even if it is slowly dying its not dead yet. Right now its the only real professional solution i can see. There are alternatives but they all have flaws of some kind. So until someone comes up with a real alternative HD is still alive and well and would be a good investment for anyone it is still very powerful and the most versatile system available. worst case scenerio u have an HD system and an all the way up to the time native system. Win win as far as i can see. I will give it up to HDN it is fun to mix in with PT11 no doubt and the hybrid buffer makes things easier but its still a bit of pain to record with and isnt as stable as an HD system