Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2014, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Love em or Hate Waves finally puts DLS bundles on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
but then, sadly, nothing lasts forever. TDM had a very good run.

TDM still works great for tracking - and low latency tracking with plugs.

I don't own a setup anymore but it's great for music tracking -

For mixing i would rather have a native beast but for tracking a TDM still has a very solid place in any studio
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 PM

i use an HD system and HDnative. anyone that thinks u cant track thru native plug ins is either a fool or a very very optimistic person. There a few native plugins that can be used for tracking but only because they were made for that like auto tune live for example but there really arent many. I know many claim that they track thru native plug ins all the time but dont believe the hype native plug ins arent designed to work like that. If u want to track with waves u either need an HD system or the waves box anything else is just uncivilized.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
i use an HD system and HDnative. anyone that thinks u cant track thru native plug ins is either a fool or a very very optimistic person. There a few native plugins that can be used for tracking but only because they were made for that like auto tune live for example but there really arent many. I know many claim that they track thru native plug ins all the time but dont believe the hype native plug ins arent designed to work like that. If u want to track with waves u either need an HD system or the waves box anything else is just uncivilized.
I use a TDM rig, however I have used Native a great deal as well. You can track through a lot of plugins with no discernable latency, with a lot of Waves plugins as many of them report no plugin delay in PT. The issue is at "any" time during typical session, which is why I am on TDM. Actually if a person is willing to work at 96 and has a fast computer, there are some compelling reasons to go HDN.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM

well barry u must be either a fool or very optimistic. even if the plug in says zero latency something happens not sure what exactly but i know for a fact that unless it is a native plug in specifically designed for live use it will not work properly for tracking. u can claim whatever u like but i know the real deal and native plug ins should not be tracked with. but hey dont let me stop u continue on with the bootleg recording techniques
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Whoa, I am from Texas, but those are fighting words.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
well barry u must be either a fool or very optimistic. even if the plug in says zero latency something happens not sure what exactly but i know for a fact that unless it is a native plug in specifically designed for live use it will not work properly for tracking. u can claim whatever u like but i know the real deal and native plug ins should not be tracked with. but hey dont let me stop u continue on with the bootleg recording techniques
Wow, why so combative?

I'm not sure why all the years doing it with Native just as I explained I was able to do it? I did it recording a church band last week on my remote native rig. Nobody complained about any latency where I used the SSL channel strip compressor/limiter on every track I was tracking.

Overdubs will be done one at a time on my TDM rig.

For the record I was agreeing with most of your points.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Barry is right, I track through some native plugs as well, example my input chain for vocals is 1 band EQ, Pro compressor, Maageq 4, Pro Limiter (just for the tracking so it can really cut through in the headphones), I buss it to a mod delay 3 for a short uneven delay (gives the impression of space and reverb without being one). No latency problems what so ever. And that's with recording the vocals at the end of the project where all the instruments have been done either live or with VI's or a combination of both at the same time. (roughly 40 to 50 tracks) Of course having a DSP system is much better for bigger track count and stability. But tracking through plugins can be done if you choose the right plugins to do so.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 AM

I guess I am a caveman.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Assuming 96kHz and zero additional latency plugins ...

An Avid HDN system at
96/64 = 1.8ms Latency
96/128 = 3.12ms
96/256 = 5.8ms
96/512 = 11.2ms

An HDX system at 96/128 (the lowest setting it has ) with only dsp plug ins on record enabled channels (because that's what its designed to do)
96/128 = 0.7ms
96/256 = 0.7ms
96/512 = 0.7ms

There are many scenarios where being able to increase the buffer and not look back is preferable from a workflow POV. There are also a ton of scenarios where a Native system either has acceptable latency for the user (a personal opinion and tolerance level) or can be quickly "arranged" to go back to the lowest latency number.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Nerd was making this argument a few years ago and would not budge regardless of how many people would explain that he's wrong. Apparently that has not changed. I don't think he'll be convinced.