Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control Success Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

In the end I got stuck with a $300 Novation using Automap. It works great and is 100% customizable. Sure it aint as fancy looking as the Eupho but you can do about 100% more with it than the eupho which is a dead-in-the-water item. IMO.....
Hey 25ghosts, I was thinking in adding one novation to my setup but always heard bad things about it with Protools. So how is it going? Sorry to go off topic for a minute.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Wish I could give you but I cant. All I can give you is a horror story.

The touch screen display is so bad that it will push other soft buttons that those on which you thought to have clicked.

You will have to move your head in over the piece to see what's on the display.

I tried the Control unit for about a day and if someone forced me to buy it and use it I might just have to kill myself.
I'd have to agree here, especially about the touch screen and the soft buttons. They were also slow to react...had to press multiple times. The Control was pretty much useless. I did like the Mix as far as just having faders to put my hands on but none of the other controls were easy to use. Used the Mix when working from home so it was ok...but when I moved the studio into an office space with clients I bought a C|24 and am very happy. Still using keyboard and mouse quite a bit but love the expansive faders and how they feel. C|24 more of a dog and pony for clients.

Hear they work great with Logic though.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM

I use both. I have a D-command 24 fader and a MCPro (the big Euphonix desk with only 4 faders). I must say that the Euphonix protocol is great. I switch from Protools to Final Cut, to Color and motion. All my shortcuts move with the program. It's so convenient! The only drawback is the 4 faders. Buying a full 24 fader Euphonix system 5-MC was out of reach so I bought the D-command (also pretty expensive and it can only do 1 trick). Anyway, the Eucon protocol is much more flexible. Easy to program and with nearly all the features as the Icon (and the great feature of focussing the fader by just touching it!). So, anyone wants to trade their System 5 for a D-command?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM

I forgot to ask what version of Pro Tools, Mac OSX, and computer are you Euphonix MC Mix and MC Control users using?
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Hey 25ghosts, I was thinking in adding one novation to my setup but always heard bad things about it with Protools. So how is it going? Sorry to go off topic for a minute.
Well this thing does what it does. It moves parameters on plugs and tracks. The faders are crap but they work. I am a mouse guy and just need the Zero MKII for occasional automation and plug control. What I use it for mostly is to trigger quickeys. It's great for that. In the HUD click any parameter and select short key. There you go, it will trigger anything you want. And that is great. Where the Automap Pro software which comes with the unit really thrives is a a programmable midi controller. It's a piece of cake to program, I really mean it but hey it's probably even easier than eating a piece of cake. And by the touch of one button you alter the thing from being a DAW (HUI) controller to become a midi controller.

OK - This aint no luxury bentley. It like a Volkswagen Golf, there when you need it. No motor faders etc. But it works for me. However, if you are a control freak who cant get enough hands on with a gem on top this ugly duckling aint for you

I love it though. And for the purpose I use it for it's great.

To OP - You are MUCH better of buying a Command 8 than the UFO.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Well this thing does what it does. It moves parameters on plugs and tracks. The faders are crap but they work. I am a mouse guy and just need the Zero MKII for occasional automation and plug control. What I use it for mostly is to trigger quickeys. It's great for that. In the HUD click any parameter and select short key. There you go, it will trigger anything you want. And that is great. Where the Automap Pro software which comes with the unit really thrives is a a programmable midi controller. It's a piece of cake to program, I really mean it but hey it's probably even easier than eating a piece of cake. And by the touch of one button you alter the thing from being a DAW (HUI) controller to become a midi controller.

OK - This aint no luxury bentley. It like a Volkswagen Golf, there when you need it. No motor faders etc. But it works for me. However, if you are a control freak who cant get enough hands on with a gem on top this ugly duckling aint for you

I love it though. And for the purpose I use it for it's great.

To OP - You are MUCH better of buying a Command 8 than the UFO.
Thanks for the complete answer. My idea is to add a Nocturne device to control plugins. I already have 2 Mc Mixes to do faders, pan, etc... and it's working great. I didn't buy the command8 because I needed at least 16 faders in front of me. 8 is not enought.

So, I downloaded the automap manual but I still have a few questions. How do I connect the device to the computer? MIDI? Do I need to use it in HUI mode to control plugins in PT (that would be bad cause I need of the bank issues in HUI mode)? Or just the automap software is capable of controling plugins? (that would be great!)

To guitar012001:

My system: Mac Pro 8-core (latest), MacOSX 10.5.8, PT HD3 accel, PT 8.0.3

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Hello guitar012001:

Not to rain on the parade here, but I'm with 25 Ghosts. I use a Control|24 and regularly take my mixes from my room to a room with a Euphonix Mix and (2) Controls. All of this is about Pro Tools. If I was Logic user, my guess is that I would like the Euphonix stuff more. Let's see, where do I start:

CONS:

-the software is a PITA, and doesn't remember all of my settings

-the fader flip function doesn't work properly for sends or pans*

-attentioned track doesn't work for a track that's not on the set of 24 (that's why I need attention!)

-banking is unreliable

-you have to think in reverse for mute (not mute, "on")

-they look and feel like plastic toys

PROS:

-even though they feel like plastic toys, the faders are responsive and okay for writing automation

-programmable soft keys actually work quite well for me, and I have a bunch of dedicated buttons like "all trim", and "all touch", and "auto suspend".

Is it worth the money? Absolutely not. A used Control|24 is in another league of usability. No comparison at all. And in Pro Tools 9, Avid will be much more motivated to support the ye olde Control|24 instead of HUI.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman

*fader flip gives us total fader travel of about half an inch for the send and the pan, has anybody on this list got this to work properly?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
So, I downloaded the automap manual but I still have a few questions. How do I connect the device to the computer? MIDI? Do I need to use it in HUI mode to control plugins in PT (that would be bad cause I need of the bank issues in HUI mode)? Or just the automap software is capable of controling plugins? (that would be great!)
You connect it via USB. Could do it via midi as well.

It uses the HUI protocol to access the plugs, faders etc. Works well for what I do. But AGAIN I am NOT the one trying to control each and everything with it.

With a switch of a button you're out a HUI mode and controlling any VI midi wise... Parameters like attack, decay on a synth - parameters which HUI wont handle normally.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Ironically, Euphonix is in the house.... just got a chance to go over their new COLOR and MC TRANSPORT units. Well, I have an MC Transport on order now! LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking at these too...this thread has me second guessing it. I need something that lets me write automation for plugin settings in Pro Tools in addition to writing MIDI controller info (modulation, pitch bend, etc). Can the MC Mix do this well? I like the look and low profile shape of it, but if it doesn't work, who cares! haha

Thanks!

Mike